Saturday, August 26, 2006

CRAZINESS

So I definitely have not updates in a long time.
Jessie and I are in a PC bang right now, killing the last few hours before our plane. Some of you may be thinking "Shouldn't you be sightseeing?", but you should just shut right the hell up, because it is HOT here!
This week was insane. We arrived back from Mongolia on Sunday night (that will be blogged about when we get to Canada) and went to bed.
We were awoken on Monday morning by a phone call from Jessie's coteacher telling us that we had to have all the furniture ready to be moved out by Wednesday. This was after weeks of being told that we had to remain in Yeongam until the end of our contract. We would also have the option of staying in our apartment with no furniture or moving to Samho, which for all the North Bay-ites out there would be equivalent to moving a Korean who spoke no English from Callander to Powassan.
So we demanded that we be allowed to stay until Thursday at least, and they said that that would be alright.
Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were rushed days to pack.
I got a phone from Mr Lee on Monday night, and he won his speech competition! I am very proud of him, and he is definitely pretty proud of himself. He has been having interviews all week and every time I see him, even though I don't understand what he is saying, I know that he is dropping to people that he won, because I hear them say congratulations and he says thank you. It was a really good speech, and I knew he would do well, but I was very surprised to hear that he had won! It was a national competition for teachers, and even though he worked very hard, I knew he would be up against some stiff competition. But he won, and I am really happy for him.
Anyways, we told him about the moving situation, and about how it would make banking difficult if I got payed on Friday (as we would have to leave town earlier). I asked if I could be payed earlier like Jessie was told she would be, on Wednesday. He said he would call and find out, and then call back.
He called the county supervisor at eleven o'clock at night! I got payed the next morning.
Tuesday night he took us out for dinner with the Ryus, and they gave us a beautiful lamp. Dinner was nice, but the Ryus were shy to speak English with us in front of Mr Lee, so we didn't get to chat much.
He came by the next day to pick up all the stuff I was leaving in Korea, which turned out to be a LOT! I had a big black duffel, plus two boxes and some other loose stuff that could not be boxed. I felt bad to give him so much. If I had been leaving, I would have just thrown it all out, but since I was coming back, there was no point in buying spices and things again, and my cheap winter coat and stuff could all stay too. And why bring all my winter clothes home if I don't have to?
Thursday monring we woke up at 9:40, and lay in bed for a while. The staff came to inspect and move our stuff at ten! I was a little emabarassed to open the door to all the office ladies in my pyjamas, but that's just how it worked out. haha.
We left after a while, because it was pretty stressful with them moving all of our stuff out. We had to return out router to the internet building and wire our money home. Surprise surprise, Jessie had not received her money yet! We wired home what she had, and yesterday she got the rest. Well, in bits. Her pay and severance were deposited, then withdrawn, then deposited again 600000 won short! We were freaking out, and we were told when Jessie called her coteacher that the money was taken off because our contract ended on August 20th, so we should not be payed for the last five days!
We argued, and I drafted some nasty e-mails (but never sent them!).... I'll finish later, we're going to head to the airport now!

No comments: