Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Christmas in Korea

Well, my three-day Christmas weekend is coming to a close... man, it was an eventful one.
Friday was pretty standard, just kicking around really, no big whoop. Well, except that one of the desks in my classroom fell apart (not on top of a student's legs, thankfully) and I arrived to find two of my grade six girls jumping on a board that was propped up on to a chair like a ramp. Man, I yelled at them like a champ.
Saturday was the fun day... lots of cleaning and prep. Sunday, Christmas Eve, I was heading to the city of Suncheon for a party hosted by my friend Carol. And Monday, Christmas Day, I was hosting a little get-together for everyone from work. So that meant that before I left for the party on Sunday, I had to have everything ready for the party on Monday! I was planning to make pies, and the crafts I had planned still had to be made... bla bla bla...
So all day Saturday was cleaning, and I had the added distraction of the looper, which I had just realized was, in fact, not broken. The looper is this obscenely expensive piece of equipment that I picked up in Canada before coming here. It lets me record loops of myself that I can play over, and then make live performances sound more full. I thought it was burned out after I plugged it in here (serious miscommunication between me and the staff at Steve's Music in Toronto) and it stopped working. It turned out that all that had happened was that the adapter that plugs into the wall was burned out, so I could
buy a new one here for about $5! So, of course, I was experimenting with that, creating epic loops of vocal and guitar harmonies for every song that popped into my head, including "Christmas Time is here again" by the Beatles, which I managed to duplicate all the harmonieson, and even add some of my own... which I then listened to on a loop
for like an hour, until I was ready to go insane.
I had a practice with the Jordan Emmans Band on Saturday, which went well. I was feeling a little useless in that group for a while, but we did some work on stuff, and I think it'll go better now. After that, I went back home to start making pies!
a friend came over to help peel and to keep me company/Sam occupied whille I baked. We got to planning things out, and I couldn't find the pie plates! We had a little more shopping to do anyways, so we headed to E-Mart, the local huge-ass department store and grocery.
Luckily I had a friend with me afterwards to keep me company and to help out with the peeling. She took a casserole dish to put the peels into, and what should she find other than the pie plates! So... that was annoying.
I made two perfect butterscotch pies, which is cool, because it's a family tradition. After the pie baking (and sugar daddies, which were amazing) I made a Christmas tree made out of rice paper and construction paper, which actually worked out well. I had no plans, but it actually looked pretty good. I've included a picture.



On Sunday, we headed out to Suncheon, which is about 70 or so minutes from Gwangju. Anyways, we had a butterscotch pie for the dinner party, but unfortunately the heat of the bus combined with the vibration of the trip left us with a pie crust full of liquified butterscotch. so, that was too bad.
Anyways, the party was fun. Apparently, I have come to Korea in order to meet people from Canada, especially North Bay. I met a guy who actually used to work at The Fox in North Bay (the rock radio station), and he is now engaged to my friend Mel, who went to Nipissing. It's so weird, most people think North Bay is Thunder Bay, and now it seems like a bunch of people I meet here have lived in North Bay! It's very strange.
It was a very great drunken evening, and it was great company, and I had a wonderful time. I played guitar and sang a lot, and of course the 151 proof rum I was drinking sure helped me with getting into the right mood.
Today we came back home, later than I had planned (of course) which meant that I just got in the door of my apartment a few minutes before I was expecting people to arrive. Of course, things were cooking more slowly than expected, so luckily I had lots more time to get ready before the others arrived with their food.
Everyone finally arrived around 5:30, and it was another wonderful meal that went off without a hitch. I even experimented with making eggnog, and it turned out to be SO easy, and delicious. Brooke, Ryan, Jon and Emily prepared a roast, two chickens and mashed potatoes, Laurien prepared some veggies, and I contributed two pies and some
appetizers.
We all ate until we were sick, drank a bunch, and then played Taboo.
Jon got me a copy of the Borat movie, which we watched, and everyone enjoyed. It was a good Christmas!
So, things are going really well! I'm not too happy that the weekend is over, but I have another four day week and then another three day weekend, so I think that it'll be no problem.

And I forgot to mention the weirdest thing... it was 16 degrees yesterday!

No comments: