Saturday, March 24, 2007

AWESOME SATURDAY

So, wow, I am giddy.
I wrote a week or so about this place at Sajik Park. I had my follow-up meeting to my stand-ups/miscommunications today.
I went there at noon, and I met with Kathy (an English Teacher acting as translator) and ReOh, the owner/manager of the membership club.
I brought my guitar, for reasons unknown. I had mentioned playing there, so I wasn't sure if maybe today was an audition or what, so I thought I would be safest to bring it just in case, but it got some looks. haha.
Anyways, it turns out that this place is actually some kind of coop, when you join you have free run of the place, and you can borrow stuff, use stuff, and there's even a kitchen where you can cook for yourself if you leave stuff to replace what you take. ReOh was talking almost immediately about giving me a key to the place, which was unexpectedly trusting.
Anyways, turns out that they do some charity and volunteer work, so it sounds like a really cool group to get involved with. ReOh told me that I would be welcome to join them on movie nights or dinners out anytime.
After we had our litlle "getting to know you" session, he took me out for lunch, to this restaurant that is famous for it's black tofu, which was actually pretty good. Other dishes included raw fish, which I am slowly getting more comfortable with. The lunch was good, and... well, this is hard to say without sounding rude, but I felt bad that I spent so much time talking to Kathy. It's just that she could speak English, so it was easier, and eventually conversations would wander from "tell him that ... please" to "so yeah bla bla bla". She was really nice, and she lived in America for two years, so she was easy to talk to.
I have really good feelings about both of them, and I am getting really excited about the whole thing.
Maybe Gwangju is looking better for another year...
EDIT: I forgot to mention that when ReOh dropped me off he told me in that super-sweet way that only a Korean with limited English can:

"Today I meet you, so... It is happy day!!!"

No comments: