Friday, June 08, 2007

listening back

I'm not going to finish the epic adventure of mom in Seoul for some time... but I'm currently mixing down recordings from the last few months, and it's giving me a really great opportunity to reflect on a very cool relationship that I developed this year, which unfortunately has come to an end.
Well, not an end, just ended in it's current phase...
I'm speaking of course about the musical partnership I had with Mr Darren Grimsley, and our little duo, Bikido. It was a lot of fun.
I learned a lot from playing with Darren. He really taught me, unintentionally, I think, a lot about improvisation, and about following things through to their end... I mean, I'm currently listening to a three chord ad-lib that last almost 35 minutes. This one is all him too, I'm just giving a little rhythm and embellishment, he's totally making it though.
Anyways, I don't know where I'm going with this. I'm going to miss playing with Darren a lot now that he is gone back home. Where else am I going to find someone willing to explore three chords for 35 minutes? And to let me abuse the reverse function on my loopstation with such patience?
I'm getting sappy... it's time to stop writing about it.

But... continue listening back, I guess. Continue following through with simple ideas, with experimenting with every sound I can get out of me and my guitar.

Thanks Darren.

3 comments:

Goulash said...

My Lord... for weeks no blog and now.... War and Peace, eat your heart out!!!

Good to see you blogging again.

See ya at the music party.

:)

Melanie said...

Making me tear up....

I miss Bikido!!

Migook said...

Thanks for the kind words. Bikido meant a lot to me.