Tuesday, October 17, 2006

the day's events

So today was exciting. I had a new crop fo kids, and I msut say that for the most part it went pretty well. We were all laughing and talking to eachother, even after I "laid down the law" and introduced them to rules, which are apparently new to them.
I don't think that these rules are unreasonable, but maybe you do:
1. Raise your hand to ask a question.
2. Be Quiet when Matt is talking. (we're encouraged to use our first names)
3. Always bring your pens and books. Every day.
4. No speaking in Korean. English Only.

Well, apparently that is totally unreasonable, a point which my grade nines felt they had to drive home by refusing to speak at all if they could not speak Korean.
Seriously, this was my first class, and they weren't asking about me (unheard of for foreign teachers), and they wouldn't answer my questions about them.
So then I asked them some easier questions... still nothing.
So I said, Fine, if you don't want to talk, then you can write about it, and told them to write ten sentences about themselves. They finished pretty quickly. I asked if they would rather write or speak, and they said write. So then, five more sentences about their families.

I told them at the close of class that the other classes had had fun, but that being stubborn wouldn't get them anything... they probably didn't understand stubborn. Crap. I told them that starting tomorrow participation would be five marks per day.

I don't know what I will do.

But at least my other classes are still good, with the exception of some bad notes being passed to me that led me to embarassingly reassign homework today.

Crap. haha.

But I have my first band practice tomorrow ngiht after work, so that should make everything better. Or at least seem better.

W00t!

No comments: