Tuesday, October 24, 2006

random tidbits

I walked home from work today. I was thinking that I would have to remember to write about how everything here is divided into little shopping districts, with several of the same type of store together. The reason that's significant is that on the way home I have the pleasure of walking through the "artificial limb" district. VERY creepy. Almost led to a Buster Bluth hallowe'en costume. Well, that was what I was thinking, but then I looked up and realized that I had taken a wrong turn.
Luckily, it wasn't TOO wrong a turn, and I got back ontrack pretty quickly. Actually, I think I shaved a few mintues off my trip.
In other exciting walking home news, I found a 10 000 won bill folded on the sidewalk on the way home. That's good, since I have been living off my air fare reimbursement since I returned, and it's almost gone! I picked up some samgyeopsal on the way home (think bacon with more fat) and had a rather delicious meal when I got home of friend pork and tofu (vegetables? What;s that?).
I went to Mokpo this weekend for Mary's birthday party. Mary's a girl I met through Jessie last year. They worked together at a couple of JLP camps. It was good to see the old JLP gang. The night started off with some initial awkwardness. I didn't know where the pub was where everyone was going to meet, so I met everyone at Mary's apartment. Everyone turned out to be all the girls doing some pre-party primping... It was a little strange, a little high-school-esque and a bit awkward to meet new people in that situation. I wasn't in the parfect mood for that situation, unfortunately, so it left me more shy than outgoing.
We ate a good dinner at a small restaurant (23 of us altogether, I think) and then wound up at a club called "plastic". We were promptly kicked out. We weren't rowdy, or too loud. We were told that we were being kicked out becuase we didn't order any "anjou" or side-dishes. But that was honest-to-goodness bullshit. We were kicked out for being a big group of foreigners. The proof? No waiters or waitresses even come to our tables to give us a chance to order anjou. I was super pissed, as were many of the people.
To lighten the mood, it was decided that we should sing Mary Happy Birthday. Then it was decided that that was the perfect way to communicate that the manager of the club was a dick, so we went back inside and sang it in the stairwell. He, of course, called the cops. Fortunately, we were long gone before anyone showed. And besides, what are they going to do? Arrest us for singing Happy Birthday?! You jerk!
We wound up ending the night at P-Bar, and then I slept on Mary's floor for the night.
I went a little overbudget, and wound up with only about $10 to get myself home. Not the wisest thing I have ever done. The train was only 3400 won (about half the price of the bus, somehow) so I went with that option, and spent the rest of my money on oranges for breakfast. I felt bad because I had tentative plans with Brooke and her boyfriend from work, and I had no way to communicate to them that I would be later than I had expected, and no way to even know if our plans had been upgraded from "tentative".
SIDEBAR: I was just going to crank my stereo to get some kickin' "The Drinking Song" by Moxy Fruvous going, only to realize that it is 12:30 am. I'm still not used to working nights.
Anyways, I was out of money, so I had to tkae the bus home, and that takes about 45 minutes from the train station on the edge of town. I was late... but the plans fell through, because everyone was hungover, apparently. I picked the wrong night to be responsible and not drink too much. haha.
Last week's students were a little more challenging. Especially a grade nine class that refuses to speak. That's fine, I'll just give them writing assignments. I mean, it's not really why their parents send them to the school, but hey, that's what they seem to want. Wait, idea! I'll get a novel, and everyone will take turns reading from it. Take that, a-holes! Seriously, you have no idea how frustrating they were.
In complete contrast to my grade nines today, a class of six, who all talk, even the exceptionally shy boy. I like that class! What a fun way to end every day!

Well, I should go. A guy I met named Darren is coming over to play guitar tomorrow. I should clean up a bit, and get all my work done for tomorrow.

No comments: