Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Hallowe'en

Wow, what a good and awesome and strange weekend.
On Thursday, I started on my costume. In University, one of my housemates had dressed up as a milk carton, so I thought I would see how I fared in a boxy costume of my own. I went to the local "Big Mart" in an effort to find me some big boxes. I was out of luck though, they didn't seem to have any that would suit. But they did have chicken breasts and garbage cans, so I picked those up while I was there.
I went to the post office, my last resort. It should have been the first place I tried, the boxes were only 180 won each (about 18 cents), and they were perfect for it. It was fun too, because I walked in and asked for two big shipping boxes carrying a garbage can and a pakcage of chicken breasts. They kept asking me where I wanted to ship my stuff, and it was a little confusing. Finally I asked if I could draw them a picture, which looked something like this:

Well.. I was going to draw a picture, but it turns out I don't have a "paint"-type program on this new laptop. Basically it was box +box+ stickman = man in a milk carton.

Anyways, he laughed, and sold me the boxes.

Then it was off to the paint shop. I picked up a jug of white housepaint, which turned out to be a bad decision. Once I got the first two coats on (Thursday and Friday nights) and started doing the detail and blue painting, it became obvious very quickly that the housepaint did not like having other paints put on over it. Luckily, the other paints dried really quickly, so multiple coats were possible on Saturday before the party.

Here's how it turned out. I'm not wearing it, because I thought I would need help getting into it, and I did need help to cut arm holes. I would have been hard to set up the webcam with no armholes! It's reversed, I don't know why.



The trip to Yeosu was quite an adventure. Foreigners here get a lot of looks, but they get a lot more when they are walking around with a huge milk carton with a head hole cut in it. When I was waiting in line for the bus, little kids kept coming up and looking in the head hole, like they thought it would be full of candy or something. And old ladies and young people would smile and laugh, and say "Oh my God! MILK!" in Korean. But people whoe were in their thirties or forties would ignore me! Blatantly! They were actively avoiding looking at me, as though they didn't want to condone my mischief! I'm not exaggerating, it was painful to see the lengths that some people would go to to avoid looking at me, or making eye contact. Like trying not to look at the girl you like in church! Dude! It's obivous!

When I got there, I was a quick hit with the crowd there, and started to feel a assured of a prize in the costume competition. I continued feeling confident when we moved from the hotel to the bar. When we arrived, it was actually pretty dead! I had expected the halloween party to have more of a dance component to it, and I was honestly disappointed to arrive in a lounge-type bar with couched and little to no dance floor. Mostly because I was in a costume that made it really difficult to sit down. Or impossible, actually.

I wandered the room, and introduced myself to most of the people there. It was pretty difficult, because my movement was pretty limited. Reaching my beer over the bar stools when getting served was a problem that limited my drinking all night. I was pretty assured that I had a chance at the top prize though: a bottle of whiskey. Sweet.

Then some really awesome costumes arrived. The competition was thus is order of threat:

Terribly offensive pope: In a full gown and big hat, with a huge erection that created a nicely tented region and a baby boy doll to carry around.


HOLY SHIT!: Dressed entirely in brown, with a pantyhose leg stuffed with foam to create a piling effect, corn kernel shaped yellow cardboard cutouts, and a halo.

Fan death: If you're a faithful reader, you'll know that fan death is a phenomenon that occurs in an apartment with the fan on and the windows closed, where the oxygen in the room spirals up, suffocating anyone who might be asleep in the apartment. Fan death's costume included fan blades in the hair, a burned and artfully coloured paper fan, deathly makeup job and a phone cord around the neck. Why the phone cord? Well, it turns out that fan death is a bit of an excuse used to hide family suicides! I had no idea, but it is good to be educated.

Oompa Loompa: I'm not talking about the digitally multiplied "Deep Roy" kind from the new film, I'm talking about the classic green haired, brown coveralled, white eye-browed kind. As soon as he walked in, I knew that I had no chance at the top rpize anymore. Seriously his suit was custom tailored. It was breathtakingingly awesome.

No comments: