Sunday, July 01, 2007

Full Frontal!

So, it's been a lazy Sunday (no attempts at referencing intended).
Yesterday was a mess...
I went to Provence at around 4 or 4:30... I set up all the sound stuff, and finally left around 7 or so to head to the Speakeasy. I was hoping for some more downtime after the set-up before going, but I was nervous about the levels so I kept checking them again and again. I showed Seung Jong everything he had to know to work it while I was gone and how to set it up to record and then I headed out, so that I could enjoy some of the rooftop barbecue that was happening before I played at 8:30.
I headed over to the Speakeasy, and chatted with Mike and Dave about the music party and different happenings, and I spent an absurd amount of time discussing chocolate with Dave. haha. Jason Kelly was also playing, which was really nice to see, because I haven't seen him playing in such a long time, and he was so good! I was blown away with the variety he played... haha, Jethro Tull!
My set went really well. I played four or five songs with the looper, and I didn't make any mistakes! woohoo!
I even had some goofball army guys doing pushups to the beat. I can't decide if that was a good thing or not. I mean, they were out on the dancefloor, but doing one-armed pushups to the musical accompaniment of me covering Mika. Either way, it was well received, and I was really happy with how it turned out. But it was so loud, I was sorry to leave and miss the other acts, but I was happy because my ears were already starting to feel like they were ringing.
I got to Provence, and my head starting pounding. Maybe it was the cigarette smoke at the Speakeasy... I haven't been around smokers in a long long time. I hope not... that would suck. If I'm going to get a headache every time I'm around smokers, I'm going to have to cut myself off from a hell of a lot of the social scene in the world...
The Provence party was pretty neat to see. It was almost entirely candle lit, they had live piano music, poetry reading and everyone heard Ee MeCha read excerpts from the guest books that she leaves out for people to write messages in around the cafe. It was wonderful. I've actually never been to something like that before, and I really really wished in that time that I know more Korean. I felt lost for most of it.
But then I got angry... not immediately... but it sunk in a few minutes after being told by SeungJong that he had forgotten to press play on the recording program on my computer. So, my gift for Ee MeCha had bsically been eliminated. At first, I was thinking, hey no big deal, but then I realized, hey, this thing I had planned for weeks for this really nice lady who helps me so much here is now gone, and it's because my friend couldn't even remember to press play! I chewed him out baout it for a while... and we're cool now. I just needed to let him know that he let me down, and not just let it roll off my back. I'm trying to be more upfront about stuff like that lately, instead of just repressing... it's probably healthy. I hope so.
I played a bit too, and I recorded everything that happened while I was there.
It was really enjoyable, and I liked some of the new people that I met, but I didn't meet many, because it was so quiet that mingling wasn't really possible.
Unfortunately, around midnight, my headache got too bad, and I had to leave. I packed up the computer and the m-box so that I could work on the recordings that I have at home (and possibly skype with Vanessa when I got home) and headed out. I got a round of applause as I left (not BECAUSE I was leaving) and I congratulated Ee MeCha on her five years of business, and finally got a chance to tell her that she looked beautiful, which she really did.
I got home and procrastinated before going to bed, because I was hoping that Vanessa would come online... but she never did. haha, turns out she was gone camping... or something. I can't figure out the timeline.
Today, I slept in, woke up with the same headache (it's been a few days) and watched like two hours of Family Guy... then I started cleaning up the apartment. I had another pizza craving (they've been coming a lot lately) but when I called, after a few minutes of yellign at eachother, I finally got that, OH, they're not open yet. They told me at 3:30 they would open, but it didn't work, I got the same message.
I've also started work on my scrapbook, finally. I have about six months of photos to put into it... it's pretty exciting. But also stressful. I keep worrying that I will miss pictures and then wind up with leftover pictures that don't fit into the order of the book. So I turned the apartment inside out a couple of times looking for them... I started, and then of course I found another two stacks of them. But I still feel like I'm missing a stack, but I have no idea where they might be.
Anyway, back to it, before I lose the drive for it, and I put it off for another six months.
OH!
I forgot the reason for the title.
I was sitting here, working on putting pictures into my scrapbook, and two little kids from down the hall ran right into my apartment yelling "Annyeong Haseyo!" (I have to door open to air out the apartment, it's cool today) and smiling and laughing. Then they realized that they were in the foreign guy's apartment, and they kind of stopped dead and stared at me until I said "HELLO!", then they laughed and turned around and ran out again.
And they were both naked from the waste down!
Korea is a strange and very trusting place... I can't imagine that would/could ever happen in Canada.

No comments: