Saturday, July 07, 2007

Getting out of the rut + PARKING LOT FIGHT!

So, I've been feeling lately like I'm in a bit of a rut...
Today I tried to get out of it. Luckily I had an awesome way to do it.
I've been reading this book, "Korea Bug", which is a compilation of article from a zine that was published in Seoul in the late 1990s with the same name. I started reading it way back when I was in Busan, but I put it down, and I never picked it up again, until just last week, and since then I have ploughed through it.
I was flipping through the newest issue of the Gwangju Times, which features a photo I took on the cover (won a contest! Got free Korean lessons!) and a quick blurb and some photos from the music party on June 23rd. I checked out the lecturers that were being brough tin by the GIC this month, and the lecturer for today was J Scott Burgeson. I thought that sounded familiar, and then I looked at "Korea Bug" and saw the author's name "J Scott Burgeson".
I've been really enjoying this book, so I definitely wanted to go hear him speak, and to meet him. I remember when I first started reading it in Busan, and Ryan and I got drunk and made all these plans to make a zine of our own. I still have the paper that I wrote down a number of names of people that I had thoought of to speak to about and/or interview for it.
Of course, it was a drunk plan that never got acted on.
Anyway, the title of his talk was "Is Cultural Revolution Still Possible In South Korea?". It was pretty interesting. Most of his 45 or 50 minute-long discussion was on the factors that led to cultural revolution in the west, and then he talked briefly about the times Korea came close, but that it didn't happen. He talked about beatniks, and the social uprisings in America in the 1960s, and the use of drugs and free love, and how those factors all contributed to a movement away from the other main revolutionary drive - capitalism. It was really very interesting, and I got a bunch of notes that I'm really hoping that I can research and learn more about.
One highlight was this guy, I don't know who he is, but he walks in, holding a very loud conversation on his cell phone, with no hint at an inside voice, totally booming out his conversation to the 20 or so people (mostly Korean) who had already arrived. Highlights included "Yeah I don't know who's talking today so I don't know if it'll be good" and then, when discussing whether his conversation partner should come or not, the shocking "I don't know, there's only two white guys here".
wow. you're a loser.
Anyway, even after his phone conversation was over, he still murmured through the entire talk and chimed in when he felt appropriate. When Scott made a point about the Beatles taking their name from the beatniks, he chimed in that there was also "the crickets". In response to a look that could best be described as "??", he said "Buddy Holly and the Crickets". It was totally beside the point. So that was fun.
Finally, after a lengthy discussion with whoever had sat next to him about something that apparently required medical attention - "Yeah, you should totally get that checked out" - Jim asked him to take it outside. Mad props Jim.
I did meet a cool lady who runs a volunteer organization here in Gwangju, and I'm going to meet with her and her group to help some new Phillipino immigrants learn to use the internet. I originally introduced myself to her because I was interested in getting any people she knew or worked with who might play folk music out to the music party.
Anyway, I feel like getting out tomorrow to volunteer will be a good way to get myself out of this rut I'm feeling. So that's a good thing. I hate feeling like I've done nothing lately. It's been good, I really needed a rest after the last few months, but I'm ready to start doing things again.
After the talk I had a good chat with Jim over some sushi, and a good walk home along the river. I crashed when I got back though, and took a nap.
When I woke up, I was greeted by a beautiful sound I haven't heard in a few months, a PARKING LOT FIGHT!
Just short little bursts of yelling that come in through the window. I opened them up to check it out, and it was full blown. It was by far the biggest parking lot fight I have ever seen.
One of the local purveyors of deep-fried and moderately delish chicken was in the parking lot, big rubber grease apron and all. He was yelling at a group of about ten people, mostly women, and it appeared that I had missed most of it, as a man from the building across the lot took him by the arm and led him out of the area.
BUT THEN (!) he rounded the corner, charged back in and headed straight for the lead woman... my immediate thought was "Holy Fuck! He's just going to drop this woman, isn't he? wow... and terrible!" He didn't hit her, thankfully, he just charged into her! Like, full shoulder bump, with minimal effect. Then she and three other women charged over to him and surrounded him. They were all yelling at him, and a man kept trying to pull him out, and a few times I thought for sure someone was going to get hit. The crowd was growing outside, and at one point I counted 25 people in the immediate area... but there was no way to count all the balcony spectators, and there were a bunch, because I could hear them from all around me as I stood on mine.
Then, the most amazing thing happened. This shaved-head guy from the building across the lot pokes his head out, and then charges down the stairs, comes out on the ramp/entrance, and does this:



I apologize for the "nudity", but how the hell else could I properly describe this?
Needless to say, it was a breathtaking display of manliness. He then walked/power walked up the guy and slapped him full on the back of the head. Like, hard. I heard it from the seventh floor!
Then, the ladies get the chicken guy against a car, and baldy runs over and tries to kick him! He must have been drunk, I mean, there's no other explanation for the shirt thing followed by a missed kick.
Anyways, there was much yelling and excitment, and he finally left, only to return about 40 minutes later to finish the shouting match with a new lead woman, but in a much more subdued manner.

Man, I wish I spoke Korean, because I would have loved to have known what it was all about.

Well, I'm off for now. Have a good one everybody!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you totally made up an entire story about an imaginary parking lot fight just as an excuse to post those photos.