Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Christmas Day 2007

Christmas was really nice too. We woke up and exchanged our stockings and ate obscene amounts of candy. Vanessa got me a really nice sweater and a shirt and she really liked the travel scrabble that my parents sent for her. She also enjoyed the 2 pounds of Moritz Icy Cubes that I had at the foot of her stalking. What else did we do on Christmas Day... (in typical fashion, I have put off writing for weeks, and now I'm struggling to remember back through a really busy week) oh, we cooked! Vanessa made bacon wrapped water chestnuts and oysters. I ate enough to officially qualify as a horny Cap'n Crunch. If you don't get the joke, I'm not going to waste my time explaining it. Well, I shouldn't... but maybe I actually should, I don't want to seem weird. You see, water chestnuts are crunchy and oysters are an aphrodisiac. It didn't matter, I ate so many that the only thing I could do was sit stock still in a chair and grunts demands.
I made tea biscuits, but by my usual miracle of mis-measurement they turned into something completely different and unexpected, those being biscuits that were basically deepfried in the excessive amounts of lard in them. Woohoo! The whistling sound you're hearing is rising cholesterol. We headed over to Jon and Emily's for dinner, and they were very gracious hosts. There were drinks, friends, games and one hell of a fine dinner, with a turkey, gravy, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, biscuits and cookies and apple crisp for dessert. We did a Secret Santa gift exchange, and I got this stuffed dog from Bobby that dispenses toilet paper from it's mouth. I've been informed that I am not allowed to take it into the bathroom, even as a joke. haha. Vanessa got a really nice scarf and mitten set from HangBin, and gave Jon a batch of home-made Candy-cane chocolate bark. I gave Vanessa (the other) a gift certificate for a bottle of wine for her and HangBin to share at Provence, but I was most proud of the card, which had hanbok on the front, and then a little lesson on what it was and who wore it, which was only fun for me, because she has been here for just as long as I have, and is dating a Korean guy.
After dinner we played some games, and had a generally good time. The Wii was a hit, and so was Scattergories, although as competition became fiercer I decided to opt for the room where the outcome of each turn was decided by a computer with whom you could not argue. I mean, you could try, but the computer would not listen, and would just move to the next round no matter what you did, which is unfortunately not the case with Scattergories. Vanessa kicked a lot of butt (mine is embarrassingly included) at boxing, and then we moved on to golf. The only frustrating thing about the Wii is that it's actually so accurate that if you break out of the narrow range of motion that it allows for a golf swing or a tennis swing it goes a bit wonky. You have to swing properly, and release the button at the proper time, or it can really misinterpret what you're doing, which can be pretty frustrating. But... you just plough on through and make up for it with your next shot.
I saw Dave brought his guitar, which made me wish I had brought mine, but he never played anyway... too bad, some music would definitely have been nice.
We wound up leaving around ten or so, I think, but I really have no idea, and heading straight to bed.

No comments: