Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Dinner plans and cancellations

So, Yeongam may be the most boring place in the world when there is no work to do.
Luckily, we have our old friends internet and television to keep us from going insane. Or, to drive us insane.
Here's a classic example of what we are very close to doing, ie, demonstrating to the world just how much free time we have on our hands(besides blogging, of course).
http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=52538
Wow, the latent racism coming out, and it is scary. One good point that was made is that how when someone who has never been discriminated against is, they lash out ten times worse. And I will now confess on the internet for all to read, that I have done this more than a few times. I'm not proud, but when you've been laughed at all day, this is what happens. You lash out. Hard.

To pass the time, we have watched a lot of "Arrested Development", which is awesome. The show just keeps getting weirder and weirder. And better and better. They adopted a Korean kid, who kept saying "Annyong" (hello) and they thought it was his name. pretty brilliant stuff.

I thought of inviting some people over for dinner, and today was supposed to be the day. Unfortunately, Rodrigo was sick, so that put an end to our plans. Sucks.
Today, I got a call out of the blue from Steve Bird, who is work-free for the next few days, so it looks now like he will be coming with his girlfriend Crystal for the weekend. It should be nice for them(Steve is a pretty outdoorsy guy) to be out here in the mountains, so that'll be good.
I'm trying to reschedule the dinner for Friday, hopefully that'll happen, and we can all hang out together, but otherwise, we may head to the Speakeasy in Kwangju for dinner.
I'm excited, either way.

Whee!

My only worry is that Steve and Crystal will be frighteningly bored when they get here. Because they live in a big city, and we live in Yeongam.

Also, I'm thinking now of definitely signing on for another year. I know it sounds in this blog like I'm really down on Korea, but it's just because they make more entertaining writing, and the day to day stuff, which is quite mundane (we live in Yeongam) is usually not really worth mentioning.
So why sign again? you may be asking. Because I want to try a big city. A big big city. Seoul. or Busan. Kwangju, maybe, but why stay in the same place if I don't have to? All my friends will be leaving, as near as I can tell. So, let's have a change of venue, some more excitement.

That's all for now.

1 comment:

D. said...

Hi Matt!

This is totally apropos of nothing, since we haven't talked in ages - but yo, Gordon Lightfoot is playing Massey Hall in November, and I'm excited, and wanted to share.

Hope you're well

Deborah