Thursday, February 23, 2006

The worst bus ride

So, you have read about my crappy ay of forgetting my glasses and wasting a trip to Kwangju.

When I got to the bus station, everything seemed to be going my way. The cab driver gave me a discount, and I arrived at the bus station and bought a ticket one about one second before my bus was leaving. Yes!
I got on, and I quickly realized it was a horrible trick. The bus was full. Full. Three seats on the whole thing. And more people were piling on.
I sat next to an army guy, quite young, and he was really nice. He gave me cookies! He tried to talk, but the language barrier was too great, so conversation was not happening, which was too bad.
At the second stop, a whole bunch more people got on. Being young gentlemen, the soldier and I got up to give up our seats to some ajumas. ANyways, most of them got kicked off the bus, so it was a pointless gesture, but instead of taking my seat back, I got called to the back by some ajoshi (old man) who seemed friendly, so I took the seat.
Well, I have been reading a lot about ajoshis being drunk and gross and getting stuck next to them on the bus/subway/train, but until today, it had never happened to me. In truth, he was not drunk, but HAD clearly just finished off a two or three day bender, which i knew even before he attempted to brag to me about it.
His breath was atrocious, and he could not understand that did not understand Korean, no matter how many times he thumped his or my chest, or how many times he yelled the same phrase again louder. It didn't help that his breath was actually making my eyes water, and I was getting a bit of a headache from no glasses.
He pointed at the soldier, and said "Soldier" and I said "yeah," and tried to look enthusiastic, so as not to be rude, even though I had no interest in a conversation.
Then he said "History, Korea, you know?" I held up my hands and said "chigum" (a little), which was an exaggeration. Then he launched into a description of the Korean war and politics, I think, I don't know, because he was speaking Korean. And he got angry with me when i didn't understand.
It's frustrating, because he (as well as most Koreans Ihave been in this situation with), just talk louder when you don't understand, as though the greater volume will bring about an epiphone. And then there is the repitition of the one or two words you do over and over again, and you saying "yes, I understand", followed by a long string of words you don't know. Then, when you look puzzled, they repeat the word you know AGAIN, four or five times, and then launch into the same long string of words you do not know. Man!
Luckily, he got off about halfway, so I only had about 45 minutes of horrible breath and being manhandled (literally, he had his arm around me and was doing something to my love handle I can really only describe as "caressing").
Wow. But then I was home, and I could tape up my glasses and vent about it on the internet, so now all is right.

No comments: