Monday, February 13, 2006

First adventure back home

So, I have the day off today. It's been pretty great, I slept in until almost ten thirty (poor Jessie had to leave at seven thirty), and then just surfed the net and played my gameboy. I didn't even shower until almost one, and that was about when I finally got around to eating too.
After showering, I set out to do my only real chore for the day, to pay the bills!
My first thought coming out into the Korean Spring was that it was surprisingly warm! It is spring! So that was very nice.
I ran into some students, and they positively freaked out! I guess they thought we had moved or something, because they just lit up when I came around a corner and they saw me! Same with last night, as we walked home from the grocery store (our cupboards were bare), and some kids from our building saw us and bolted towards us, and all asked us "Where are you going?", because that is what they knew how to say. They looked really happy to see us, and combined with the young guys who waved at Jessie from a passing truck on the busride into Yeongam, we had a pretty good welcome.
When I got to the bank, the only teller at the counter was busy, so I just hung back and waited. Another came to the counter, and then the busy one waved me forward, so I didn't know who to go to, so I went to the non-busy one after some wild hand-gesturing. They were all giggling (3 counter ladies by this point) and blushing, which was really weird.
I showed her the bills and said "chibul", or payment, at which point they laughed, and all crowded around to check them out.
One girl actually fell out of her chair, because she tried to sit down but would not take her eyes off of me. They added up all the bills (marvelling at our very high gas bill) and told me the total in Korean. I had already calculated it at home, so I handed them some bills, and they ran them through the counter. When they saw it was the right amount, they all gave me a look of approval, like I had just spelled "gestation" at the junior spelling bee.
Then the boss at a desk said "Hello" and everyone laughed.
They handed me my change, and I said "Gamsa hamneida" (thank you) and headed for the door.
The boss said "Bye!", I said "Bye!" and then the ladies laughed and blushed again.

Korea is fun sometimes. I'm glad to be back right now.

No comments: