Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Get the hell away from me!

Kim Man-woo will not leave me alone.
Shortly after every bell, I hear his heavy footsteps as he runs down the hall. And stops at my door, looks in, and says "Teacher Sorry!".
I've taken to responding "If you're sorry, stop coming!", because he has no idea what I am saying. And he's not sorry. So I know he won't stop coming.
Then he stands there, and breathes today's variety of just-barely bad breath on me. Just a hint of lunch. In my face.
Then, I think "Hey, Matt! Stop being such a bastard. He just wants to be friends. You're such an asshole." Usually, this is followed by a few feeble attempts at conversation. Today's went like this:

"So, Man-woo, are you performing in the school festival tomorrow?"
"..."
"Yeah... umm... You, festival, tomorrow... ... ?"
"..."
"Right... yeah... umm... nevermind."
"MTV!" (smiles so broadly it MUST hurt)

So then I go back to work, usually.

Today was different. He was standing over me, and I realized that the next class was my class with him. Which I may or may not have today. Allow me to explain.

When I got here this morning, I taught my first class, and it was great. Quiet, well behaved, gave out a prize for a contest from a few weeks ago. The contest was to fill out a questionnaire about movies. The group who won had many many mistakes, but they went way beyond the scope of the questions, so they won for creativity. So they got a much larger prize than I had planned. About 150 Hershey hugs. Delicious.

My second period was a spare, so I worked a bit. Third period came around, and my coteacher was noticeably absent. I went to the class, figuring that she was there. My class was also absent. I went back to the staff room, and no coteacher. Back to class, no class.
I finally asked another teacher "Where Suk-Gyong?" (conveying substance wins out over style), and I was told that they were at the high school preparing for the festival tomorrow.
Well, thanks for the heads up on that one. All of my classes are cancelled for the rest of the day I just found out. Do I have a holiday? No, I sit here. Well, at least I get to sit here. They were trying to make me sit and watch the rehearsal. As fun as that sounds...

So, I went out with Man-woo, and he left halfway down the hall and ran away. Pretty typical Man-woo. And yes, my last class was cancelled. Thanks for the heads-up, once again.

Oh well. At least I have this sweet "Consta-crash" computer to keep me entertained. Sweet.

No comments: