Monday, November 14, 2005

Topsy-turvy school year

So, the school year here is all topsy-turvy.
The first semester is March to July, and the second is September to December. So, if you read between the lines, I have two months of holidays, paid holidays, coming up.
I was talking to my coteacher about it, and he said that there is a bill that is being proposed to bring the Korean school year in line with the American (and Canadian) school year. It is encountering a lot of opposition, mainly from teachers.
The two month winter break actually has the purpose of saving the school money because they do not have to pay for heating during the coldest part of the year. And they really hate to pay for heating, let me tell you. I am currently freezing in my classroom.
Anyways, if they change the school year, it will mean having to renovate and insulate all of the school buildings, and paying extra for heating, which would probably result in a huge problem that would take a long time to resolve.
So for now, the year will remain topsy-turvy.
I'm not even going to touch the constant schedule changes that occur almost week-to-week. (only one class today)
That certainly isn't making the school year any more normal.

No comments: