Tuesday, November 15, 2005

"I own fifteen belts"

On Saturday, Jessie and I went to Mokpo to spend the afternoon and evening with some Canadians we had met at the camp the weekend before, Rodrigo and Sarah.
It was really fun, they are great people.
We went to a DVD bang, which is not as dirty as it sounds (perhaps the first repeated joke of the blog). For the uninitiated, it's a private movie watching room (bang, in Korean), with a big couch and a private sound system that you can control. We saw "Bewitched", and it was the best half movie I ever saw. I thought it was really funny, of course, and the story was a neat twist, not just a straight remake. Nicole Kidman starred once again as the cutest woman in the world. Will Ferrel starred once again as a bumbling hack. And then, just as it was setting up for a great finale, it was over, without the finale. Very frustrating.
Dinner was at an Italian restaurant, which was really good. Nothing more really to say about that. Delicioso? Maybe. Real Italian word? Maybe not.

The bus station on the way home offered a classic example of the apparently music video-influenced youth of Korea. Older teens, they just don't seem to get that that's not real life, that's a rap video. Or in this case, a twenty-year-old pop video.
The guy was wearing approximately fifteen belts, a black denim jacket, tight black jeans, a black t-shirt, gloves with no fingers, and had a skull and cross-bones, white, on the back of his jacket. I don't want to exagerrate this at all, I want to be accurate. In my minds' eye, he was wearing a bandana, but that may have been an embellishment that I added on the way home. I like bandanas.
Now, this guy was looking really bad, and I mean that in a good way. He was a movie gangster, perhaps on his way to fight a benippled Batman and Robin. It was crazy.
The four of us (Rodrigo and Sarah had accompanied us to the bus station, which was really nice of them) had a good laugh.
As Jessie and I were on the bus waiting for it to pull away, I managed to catch one final glimpse of this guy. He was hunched over the crane game. The big yellow crane game, that plays annoying childrens' music as you move the three-pronged grabber and try to grab anything from a stuffed animal to a harmonica. For you Canadians, you may know these games from your local bingo hall.
Anyways, he was hunched right over the thing, and he was really into it. It was one of the funniest things I have seen since I got here, and it inspired me to create the following masterpiece, because, let's be honest, I have a lot of time on my hands.

That's all for now.

No comments: