Thursday, November 24, 2005

Piano lessons

So, I had my first piano lesson last night.
It was very interesting. I hadn't thought that I would be having lessons immediately, but apparently, that was to be the case.
I met Mrs Che in the parking lot of our apartment building (the mother from the family giving us Korean tutoring) and we walked into town together. She brought snacks, which was pretty great of her. Unfortunately, one of them was rice cake cookies, which is basically a great shortbread, but with a tasteless, unchewable center made of pure ricey badness. But, still, very sweet of her. I ate the chewy centres in order to have a counterpoint that made the shortbread that much better. Also, I didn't want to seem ungrateful.
We walked in, and I thought we would be just talking to the instructor to see what the options were, but it turned out that there was an opening at 6 pm to 7 pm every night. It may seem like a lot, but that's how much you probably should be practicing anyways, so why not? I got out of the Friday lesson, or at least made it optional, so that if Jessie and I decide to go do something, I don't have to worry about the telephone call and trying to explain my absence in Korean. So, if I go, I go, if not, no big whoop. That was a lot of commas.
Anyways, I had about six students in the place when I went. When the instructor called me over for a test, they all came to watch, which was a little humiliating. These kids are ten or eleven, and playing much more advanced stuff than the "Polly Wolly Doodle" equivalent stuff I was being tested on. And, I might add, testing rather poorly with.
I told them that I knew some basic music theory from playing guitar, but I think they might have gotten the idea that I am a classically trained guitarist. I basically meant that I can recognize a quarter note, and I know about a thing called "The circle of fifths". I think that they thought I meant "I can read music". So, I have some home study to do, I think.
So, she decided that I should start on book two based on my test, and I was ushered to a room where I was to practice lessons 19 and 20 for the next hour.
Korean piano lessons are really quite different from what I have heard about in Canada.
You have about ten minutes of instruction, then, you get a private room to practice. This room is not sound proof, so you get a good earful from the next room, which can be quite distracting, when you are trying to count out "1 2 3 4" and get both hands to do different things and in the next room they're playing a fugue or something... I don't know, it was really fast.
And then, it was over. I played it for the instructor (not nearly as well as I had played it on my own) and then she tried to sell me a metronome, which I am going to buy today, I think. I really should have one, it would make Carl happy.
Well, the bell is ringing, so I have officially spent my first entire period of school today writing in my blog.
That's all for now.

1 comment:

Linny said...

I thought I'd comment on your blog, Matt....its become a delightful pasttime of mine. While I sit here in Hamilton hoping that my damn experiments will work, you still manage to give me a chuckle. And I'm so impressed that you're in Korea! I wish I were so adventurous. Keep the posts coming! ~ Lindsie