Friday, November 11, 2005

Happy Pepero day!

Today, back in Canada, it is Rememberance day.
In Korea, there is a much happier day, Pepero day!

On Pepero day, the kids all buy Pepero candy, and they exchange it at school, like Valentines in Canada. Basically, it's little chocolate-covered bread sticks. They look like ones, so November 11th is their day. Get it? 11-11!
So, a highlight of today was getting tons of candy from my students. So much I had to get a bag to carry it all. A big bag. Because my backpack was already full.

Last night we were approached by the owner of a hagwon (a private english academy) to teach at his school. We said that we couldn't legally, but I alluded to the fact that in ten months time, I may be looking for a new contract! He said that students wanted to meet us and get to know us, so his back-up plan was that we go on trips with his classes on weekends! It's pretty sweet. We won't be paid, we won't have lessons, but transportation and accomodations and meals will all be paid for! AND, it means that we will have Korean guides to take us everywhere we go, AND they will be able to tell us about everything.

So, it turned out well. But when I first opened the door, I almost groaned right out loud. It was the woman who a month ago tried to get Jessie and I to start tutoring three nights a week for a group of boys. Those boys, by the way, do not attend the free extra-help sessions that I set up after school. So, clearly they weren't too into the whole idea. This time she had brought friends...

She walked right in, and helped herself to a persimmon. Sure, eat our fruit. I started clearing the couch (our apartment was a bit of a mess), and she led the others in and sat on the floor. I don't know... she rubs me the wrong way, she is very pushy.
But it turned out okay.

Free trips? Don't mind if I do!

No comments: