Tuesday, April 10, 2007

A dose of shame

I've been thinking about my year in Yeongam a lot lately.
I mentioned it as something that came up over the weekend, but I actually have been thinking of it for a while now.
I am ashamed. Absolutely ashamed. I did so little last year. I barely connected to anyone in the community, except in the most superficial way. I didn't make any effort, and the nice people that I did meet did were held at arms length, if they were held at all.
I had some bad experiences, yes, but it was my outlook that meant that it affected my future interactions. I wasn't adventurous, I didn't peek my head in doors, and I didn't call even the few people that I did meet.
And I don't think that it is fair to blame the size of the community. Yeah, their English ability was nill, and communication was much more difficult, but the effort on my part to meet them halfway was minimal.
I think that the problem was that Yeongam was a place where I worked, and now I'm starting to see it as having been place where I should have lived, much as Gwangju has become for me now.
Anyways... it's funny how you get thinking about things.

1 comment:

Goulash said...

Don't feel ashamed... just make up for it by doubling your efforts in Gwangju. Not that I really think you need to do that now. You are already giving so much of yourself to the community there.
:)

You are right in one aspect though... the more you "live" in a place, the more fun you have during your stay in Korea.

Here's to living a little more!