Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Random thoughts

So, my Korean class was cancelled today, a fact that I only remembered as I stepped out of the shower. Well, out of isn't really the right word. I mean... well, here's my bathroom:
As you can see, the bathroom tile just changes into "shower zone".
This means that I have the whole day free, so I'm going to clean up a bit, and leave the window open so that I can add thoughts as they come to me!

First: THE BEST CAB CONVERSATIONS OF MY LIFE!
Since taking Korean lessons, I have been having the best Korean converations of my life. They ask a question, I answer them. Somehow these lessons seem to be set up in order to give me the perfect responses to the very small set of questions that Korean cab drivers are interested in. Where are you from? Where are you going? How long have you been in Korea? Do you like Kimchi? Do you like Gwangju?

A COMMITMENT!
So, just so everyone knows, and they ask me about it in some years' time, here's the plan for vacations in the next few years.
1. India, Nepal, Tibet and China in the fall. Solo, for a month and a half or two months.
2. 2010, late spring to fall, hiking the Appalachian Trail. 3500 km from Georgia to Maine. It will take close to five months.

BEAUTY!
I walked to school yesterday (as I do almost everyday), and I was struck at the transformation that almost happened without me noticing. It's spring! The river is starting to look a little more... undisturbed... as grass and reeds grow up around it after the disturbance of a winter's worth of construction. And on the way home, I caught a whiff of lilacs blooming along the sidewalk. Oh, and did I mention that it was like fifteen degrees? It was. I walked home at 11 with no coat.

REDUCING MY CAFFEINE CONSUMPTION:
I've been conciously reducing my caffeine consumption. During intensives, I was drinking about six cups a day, and with all the work-related stress and personal goal-pursuit, I was stressed enough to actually develop an eye twitch that lasted about a month and a half. Now I'm not so stressed, and I'm cutting myself off after two cups a day. Although on most days it's only one. I noticed last week that the twitch was gone, and it was a really good day.

I LOVE SINGING
I've been singing more lately than I ever have in my life. Performance and personal, there's always sound escaping my lips. And I'm discovering new sounds that I can produce, and gaining new confidence and comfort every day. I'm starting to long for it. I'm starting to wish classes were over, and I could just close the door and enjoy the acoustics of my room.

BAD BREATH
I had a cabbie a few weeks ago with breath so bad that I had to open the window in the BACK SEAT.

CLEANUP DAY
So, I'm doing laundry... and I just ordered in some of the usual rib soup with a side of mandu... life here is so easy once you break through... I love it. And take-out comes in real dishes here! You just throw them in the hall when you're done, and they come back to pick them up!

MISSED WEEKENDS
So, I didn't blog about Busan. The reason? I was super drunk! And I was hungover... and I didn't feel like writing about it. But it'll be coming soon. Then, the JinHae weekend. I just got busy. But they're coming, I promise.

that's all for now... I really didn't write as much as I had thought that I would... oh well. little tidbits, little tidbits.

No comments: