Sunday, April 15, 2007

Eventful Uneventful Weekend.

So... it's Saturday night. For the first time in weeks, I am at home with no plans, and I'm loving it!
I had a lazy day today... well, relatively. But I'll get to it.
Last night, after work, I headed to the Speakeasy for the acoustic jam night. Disappointingly, Dave was absent, apparently busy or sick or both. Which really sucks, because he's always fun to play with, and this has been the first time I've had a chance to play with him in a long time. I arrived to a crowd of strangers (not surprising, considering that I rarely go there anymore...) and got worried because Darren wasn't even there yet, and I didn't really want to play alone to a crowd I didn't know... not last night anyways. But I wanted to play, because OkYeon and SoHeoo and their comrade from the math school were coming (they're all the secretaries), eventually.
Darren showed after a bit, and we started setting up. We played for about an hour or so together, then went into trading solo stuff back and forth for maybe another hour. Darren also had some good covers... it's really odd how synchronous our knowledge is... We were running up to join eachother on solo stuff a lot, because we would know the harmony or another guitar part... I did mostly Hawksley covers, because that is mostly what I have been playing lately. We were pretty well received, and in particular an acoustic version of "Striptease". I mean... from the one girl in the audience who knew Hawksley it was particularly well received. The rest of the crowd was the usual Speakeasy crowd that only claps for songs they know. It's a tough crowd to crack if you're a folky/art-pop guy who doesn't like playing popular rocks songs...
I wound up staying out until three, then having a late night dinner at Gimbap Cheonguk when I realized that I had forgotten to eat dinner at a more reasonable hour.
As a result, I slept until almost one today, which has only happened once or twice since that bender I had on arriving here. haha. Darren and I had plans to do some live recording today, so I wanted to get the place cleaned up. I procrastinated a ton... wound up taking a trip to the street market just so that I could make myself some crepes. When I got back, I decided to make some pasta sauce. I thought "Hey, I've got the whole day, why not make it from scratch?" So I blanched the tomatoes, and pureed them, and peeled some other for chunks... anyways, it was going really well when Brooke phoned an hour or so later, so I invited her and Ryan over for dinner. Anyways, a while later I was walking by the pot, saw the wine, and thought "Hey, that could be a nice touch to this little sauce that is going so well."
Anyways, I poured some in. Mistake. I should have smelled it first. It's been open for a while, and it satrted to have that old wine taste. Soon that's all you could taste in the sauce.
I also cleaned and did laundry. Sweet day, no?
I wound up making some more sauce, because I had invitees!
Darren showed up around six or so, and we got things going with the recording. The amount of stuff he brought on his bike honestly boggled my mind. He has this way of rigging his guitar on his back with bungee cords over his backpack, with another bag strapped to his bike... and two mic stands!
Anyways, we got some pretty solid live recordings of five songs, which is good for an evening. After we finished, we wound up eating the pasta ourselves. Ryan and Brooke cancelled, they both got sick... somehow. Everyone is sick right now.
We actually ate home made noodles, because I was almost out (Ryan and Brooke were supposed to bring some with them). We went to the underground market, no pasta. Went to the market market, no pasta. So, I wound up making some. I am super full now...

No comments: