Monday, January 02, 2006

Awesomeness

I've decided that there is one awesome aspect of being here that I do not write about nearly enough.

The Ryus.

This is the family that Jessie and I go to see twice a week for help with our Korean. They are so nice, and they really try to help, even though it is difficult sometimes, because they don't have the greatest english!
They feed us a lot. Too much sometimes. It's funny, we have learned a lot about the more traditional side of Korean life from them, and about other aspects of their culture. For example, they get a little miffed if Jessie eats a piece of apple before I do. They also can't believe that I cook, because Jessie should cook. I think they believe she is a horrible "wife".
One night, they didn't have any apples pre-peeled. They asked us to help... Jessie and I both reached for a knife, and Mrs Che (the mom) slapped my hand away. Then, she proceeded to laugh and mock Jessie's peeling techniques. I took over after that, and they mocked mine! It's crazy...
Mrs Che wants to give Jessie cooking lessons. I don't think that it would be possible for Jessie to be any less interested in anything. But she keeps telling her to come over during my piano lesson. Jessie hasn't gone yet...

Anyways, Jessie is away right now at camp. It's pretty funny. Koreans don't seem too big on public displays of affection, but the Ryus are SHOCKED that we don't hold hands in public (which we didn't do for a long time because of their apparent distaste for it). Also, they seem to have the impression that while Jessie is away, I lie on her side of the bed in the fetal position, rocking back and forth and crying. "You said you'd never leave me.... boohoohoo..."
Anyways, they keep inviting me over for dinner. It's really nice, but it's so awkward, because we eat, and then I don't know if it's okay to leave, and they just sit around without talking to me. It's still nice though, because it's free food. Also, they know which sauces should be put on which dish.
Last week, when I was talking about all the things I was going to do (because I had no classes on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday), they assumed that it was because Jessie was away. It's was pretty funny, we made a lot of soju-related jokes, and I taught them the English saying "While the cat's away, the mice will play!". They thought that was pretty hilarious.
They really are very nice, and I felt that they deserved a mention. They are a constant reminder that behind all the craziness, cultural barriers, and apparent rudeness, the majority of Koreans are really nice, and really really welcoming people. They make it nice to be here.

No comments: