Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Camp, you are the greatest.

English camp is fun!
I really had no idea what to expect, because like most things here, we were really uninformed, and I wasn't sure what I was headed into.
The kids are the keeners from every class. They want to be there, and they participate (not consistently, but at least more than I am used to!
The first day, I did an intro slideshow about me and Canada, that lasted the whole first period, somehow. Then, they did introductions themselves, and this activity spilled into the third period. Thank God, because it turned out that the review I had planned for that period was too short, even with the first fifteen minutes gone! The last period was opposite swat (I say a word, they have to swat the picture of the opposite term on the board with a fly swatter), and the first day was declared a success!
Today, I reviewed describing people, looking at faces, bodies, and clothing (the actual describing of people is not important, it's just an easy and fun way to get them to make simple sentences). The last period was spent learning words to say other than fine in response to "How are you today?" (you may have noticed, it's my pet-peeve here). Then, charades! Day two = success.
Tomorrow, we will be discussing how describe people's personalities, ie, likes/dislikes, personality. Also, a review of how describe people's faces, bodies and clothing using a Harry Potter picture and a memory game. Then, the kids will work in their groups, named "Be Mango", "Georgetown" (one kid's nickname is Georgie) and the "Frilly Girls" (the girls couldn't decide on a name, so I gave them this as a joke, but I don't think they got it), and they will create a character. They will have to draw it, and describe everything about them, their looks and personality. I predict success.
Thursday will be a review of physical descriptions, then students will have to describe someone they admire. Then, we'll listen to "Short People" by Randy Newman, and finally, the students will have to write a pop love song about their character! I hope they make funny characters, so that their love song will be very funny.
On Friday, I'll play them their songs (I'll put their words to the melodies of other songs), and then we'll watch a movie.

Success!

No comments: