Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Please maintain a safe distance from the girls


So, there was an interesting point about camp that I forgot to mention.

There are 13 boys, and 3 girls.

I wanted to have three even groups of five, so I tried to split people up to make it happen. It looked like the best I would get was two groups of four and one group of five (some were absent the first day), by moving one boy onto the team with the girls. I asked for volunteers, and no-one was playing along.

So I picked a guy at random.

Big Mistake.

Apparently, just the idea of being on the same team as a the girls was too much for this guy to handle. It took him about two minutes to change desks, but I got the impression that it would have been a similar situation no matter who had been the one I had chosen. So I didn't feel too bad.
Then, the guy was sitting there, and his body language was directed so perfectly away from the girls that it was almost painful to see. It was pretty hilarious at the same time though. I eventually relented, and allowed the poor guy to leave the girls' team. I made him join the other guys' team though, to keep things as even as possible. Anyways, to illustrate, here's a little disgram of the guy's avoidance during class.

The red line indicates where the guy's whole body
was directed. His goal seemed to be to ensure that
above all else, his eyes shalt not fall on a female.

It was really horrible. The boys and girls do not mix at all. They're fifteen. They should be over this whole thing by now, but Korea is pretty segregated until dating starts, which must make for some pretty interesting first dates.

Anyways... it was pretty hilarious.

No comments: