Thursday, January 05, 2006

BAD day

Wow, brutal. Just brutal.

There's this kid. I talked about him in the post 0f November 15th (More Pictures!!!), and said he was one of my favourites. Well, apparently, the point of camp is for my favourites to test the limits of what I will put up with. He just will not shut up! All the time, talking, punching the other kids (playfully), and just generally being a nuisance when I'm trying to talk, or trying to get the other kids to work. I took him out into the hall and told him that he was being very rude. I felt bad, he kept wincing, he clearly expected to get hit when a teacher took him into the hall.
There's another, who is one of my favourite grade twos from the boys' school. He is so loud, and always playfighting whenever I give the students time to do an activity. Anyways, I think that he is the son of the perverted guy from the parents' group who is always feeling up all of the moms, all of which cannot be the student's mom. ha! He's really creepy. Once at dinner, he actually said to Jessie "You are very... large" and gestures to his chest. Which was not exactly just an observation, it was really really creepy.
Which brings me to another point that is becoming frighteningly clear. I've already mentioned the guy who wouldn't work with the girls. But it's getting RIDICULOUS now. The boys are openly mean to the girls, callign them pigs, booing them when they present to the class. They are so mean! And the girls don't stand up for themselves, because that is just the way it is here. Apparenly, I am the only one who is even offended by it. The girls don't seem to mind, and the boys just do it because it is the way they were raised, and the way everyone does it here. Crap.
It's really brutal, and I wish I could explain why it pisses me off, but there's no way they would understand.

Their big assignment today was to write a song about their character. A love song, if they wanted bonus points. The boys all said that they could not write a love song about their characters, since they had drawn boys. I told them to imagine, but they couldn't hear me through all the homophobia. So I told them to write a love song from the viewpoint of their character ("You ARE the Buddha Thief!"). They didn't get it at all. They totally missed the point, and just wrote these really horrible love songs. They're really pretty funny, because they're half their own attempts to write, and half things that they remember from other songs.

Here's Team "Be Mango"'s contribution:

When I was young I saw the girl She was very pretty
Also, she looked like an angel
But she loved another boy.
So I despair Why don’t you know my love
I love you I love you I love you
I love you so much
Please take my love
I love, I love I love
She is cute, she is so pretty


Here's Team "Georgetown"'s opus:

There’s a lover
That is very beautiful
I’m dazzled with you (I love you)
Oh, twinkle my love, I can’t give up loving with you
I am always missing you
Oh, my lover’s money is good
I love you, please promise your love and hold my arms
And hug me lovely, gently, lovely softly
How gently is the rain that falls softly on the meadow
But high on the tree
Serenade the flower with your melody oh-ho
Everything bless my love
I’m very happy with you.

Here's the "Frilly Girls"'s work of art:

I want that you are happy
Because your smiling makes me happy
In your eyes are stars
So you’re very cute
I always think of you
I need your mind
I want you
I love you forever
But, why don’t you like me
Why? Why? Really, Why??
You have me forever.

I can't even fit music to the second one. Oh well, I figure that putting two of their songs to music will be good. One last day, and all I am doing is watching movies. "Listening Skills"! Really, I don't know what else to do, because all of the lessons I put a ton of effort into planning were ruined by two students who refused to shut up.

PS. I blame the Korean school system that says when not enough students volunteer for an english camp, they have to force other students to fill it up. Thank you! Why don't you just request only unenthusiastic students who don't want to be there?

No comments: