Friday, January 20, 2006

Strange Dreams

Last night, I had the strangest dreams.

One:
I was a don again. I was studying a program I wasn't too excited about, basically I was just there because with this don position, everything was apparently free. Jessie was there too, also attending classes. I walked her to class once, in my underwear. I'm not sure why. But on the way back I ran into a former co-worker who really gave me the creeps. She was no different in my dreams! A guy in his underwear=check-out time. I ran by her.
Then, I was miraculously dressed. I was walking through the residence common areas, and oh man, I would have given a LOT to live there. There were bowling alleys, weird shuffle-board tables on the floor, pool tables... apparently it was a public building as well, so although it was busy at the moment, I knew that at night, it would be really easy to get a table for myself! I was happy!
The don's apartment was amazing! It had two big bedrooms, a big kitchen, it was perfect. I got back one day to find Jessie cooking up a bizarre mixture of chicken balls (like Chinese take-out) and whole heads of broccoli and this thick brown sauce in a huge frying pan in our kitchen. I never dreamed about eating it though, just being astonished at the process.
She said "I guess we can just keep the milk in this milk fridge I found beside the bed". And there, miraculously, was a little convenience store fridge for displaying milk, sitting on the counter.
That was the first weird dream.

Two:
I was doing a play with people from Powassan. James Bolton, Jennifer Aultman, and Paula Rick, among others. Jessie and some university people were there too. I think we were doing a production of Peter Pan, because I remember there being some rigging. Also, some rigging problems, because there were suspended beams right through that area where the flying should have been.
The weirdest thing was that my job on the play was to do sound. They wanted everything tracked differently. They had all the equipment, and it was all bolted down, and there were no cords to attach it all. I sent people out to find cords for me, and they brought back a single stereo connector that was too short to reach between the equipment that was all bolted down. So, I had all this great equipment and actors, but I couldn't make it work.

It's funny, because the second dream is just a perfect analogy for how I have felt teaching here. I didn't even realize it until I was telling Jessie about the dream this morning. It's like, I have all these great resources. I have students, multimedia equipment, and these great ideas, between my own brainstorming and all the web sites I have found. But, I'm just missing that one thing that I need to put it all together, so I have production (lesson) after production (lesson) that bombs.
If only I had a few dozen more 30' long stereo connectors. Then I would be the greatest teacher in the world!

No comments: