Monday, January 16, 2006

Korea made me do it.

Here's a list of things I never thought I would do, but then I started doing once I arrived in Korea.

Watch Gilmore Girls
I'm doing this one right now. This show is frighteningly clever, and by that I mean unrealistic. This town has the highest collective GPA in the world, and they will banter until creamed corn comes out your ears. The same goes for The Apprentice, Sex and the City, Survivor, Wife Swap, Nanny 911, McGyver, McGyver, McGyver, Mission Impossible, Jamie Oliver's Italian Getaway, The Bachelorette, Temptation Island, I'm a celebrity, get me out of here!, and of course McGyver.

Wear turtle necks
I'm from a country that has a cold cold reputation, and yet I fall into turtle necks in Korea. Reasons? It gets cold here. Not real cold, but cold enough that when all the doors and windows get left open it is really cold. And thus turtlenecks.

Hating Schoolchildren
I don't really hate them, it just feels good to write it every once in a while. They are incredibly frustrating sometimes.

Condemn an entire school of thought
Sorry, the whole hierarchy and chain of command thing is crazy. The checks and measures that we still have to observe even though they don't understand what they are saying, and they don't know what we are saying get really really frustrating.

Play a long-term online video game
So, for those who know me, you know I'm not too excited about video games. But I've been playing this game called "The Kingdom of Loathing" (www.kingdomofloathing.com), which is a mock-RPG. It's pretty funny, they have parts of the game that mocks everything I mock! It's funny!

Cry with frustration
Yeah, it happened. It's so hard, because I am a conversation teacher, and conversation is worth no marks, and the kids I teach do not have a large enough vocabulary to piece together a conversation. How should I be teaching them? I wind up teaching them vocab, which turns out to be useless, because it is just piss in the ocean. These kids just memorize sheets and sheets of vocab, but have no idea how to piece it together. And possibly because of the ranking system (where the best students get the most help) the kids are afraid to put those words into sentences in case they make a mistake. The other day, at camp, I actually punched the bathroom wall. I was so frustrated, I could not get them to do anything, and even the fun activities I had planned were turned into work byt he fact that it was keeping them from doing their hagwon homework! GAH!

Take up/Give up drinking coffee again
It started off innocently enough. Basically, I just didn't want to offend by turning down coffee when it was offered. So, I had one on arrival, and one sometimes at lunch. Then, I started iking it, so I got some for at home. Then, I started having one when I woke up in the morning. Then, I had one at school at lunch. Then, when things started wearing me down a little, I had one when I got home, and some days two.
Did I mention that these were double of instant coffee? If you add all that up, it's about 6 normal coffees a day. That's more than I was having last summer when I stopped because it was too much.
But it's been three days. This time, I've decided not to go cold turkey, so I can still have it occasionally if I want one. But never if I need one. Don't feed the need.

Speaking in sentence fragments and using words my students use
Sometimes, even to be understood by the Korean english teachers, I have to say things like "I go office" or "No home today, store, no home!". It's pretty sad. Also, I've started saying "Many many" instead of "a lot", "much", "a great deal", and sometimes even "very".
Many large!

Become too dependent on people around me not understanding anything I say
Basically, I have become an out loud griper in public. No-one understands! But, soon, it'll bite me in the ass, I know.

Eating yogurt
I hated yogurt. Sometimes I think that I still do, even as it is sliding down my throat, and I am enjoying it. Yogurt is sick! But I can't stop eating it!

Considered -10 degrees too cold to go out
Come on! Do we really need toilet paper that badly? It can wait until tomorrow.

Well, that's all for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt (and Jessie) about that RPG Kingdom of Loathing thing, you should read Video Game Widows in Macleans mahttp://www.macleans.ca/topstories/technology/article.jsp?content=20060116_119602_

Don't let it come to that.
Ralph