Wednesday, February 07, 2007

FIGHTING!

It appears to be "Hostility Day" on the Korean calendar... or something.
I can't explain it, but there seems to be a hostility in the air. and this is all before lunch!

First:
After my first and only class this morning (I got to sleep in until 9!) there was a fight that I had to break up. It started in class. The kids play this word game where you change one syllable or add a syllable to a word to change it to another word (syllable rather than letter, because Korean words are written in syllable blocks). Anyways, the kid I call Puma Man turned another kid, Ho Hyun's, name into "tyrannosaurus" in about four steps. The other words I did not know. Luckily, tyrannosaurus is the same in both languages. I thought it was a fun joke between friends, so I didn't say anything.
Oh, new news... I'm writing this in the staff room on lunch, and Mr Kang just came over to tell me that the words were actually a bunch of nicknames that Puma Man had given Ho Hyun based on his appearance, and also included Monkey. This has been going on for some time, apparently, and Ho Hyun told Mr Kang that finally today he could not take anymore.
So anyways, I laughed it off in class, because I figured it was just a joke, and harmless fun, I had no idea that this was going on for a long time (how could I? I don't understand what they say!). But then as they were leaving class, a plastic milk container bounced into the room, apparently off Puma Man's head!
I went out into the hall, just in time to see a roundhouse kick from Ho Hyun to Puma Man's torso! It was brutal! I stepped in between them. Puma Man had no interest in fighting, because I think that he knew that Ho Hyun would kick the shit out of him. haha. Anyways, I was trying to break them apart, which was pretty easy, because Puma Man was backing off, when Ho Hyun came up and gave him a stiff-handed slap across the face!
So I marched them both up to the office and told them to explain the situation to Mr Kang after I told him what I knew... anyways, I was shaking. I haven't had to deal with anything that intense since I was a don.

SECOND:
Harley and I were talking about the schedule changes at the start of lunch when we saw a fight come so close to happening out at the intersection in front of the school. Not much detail there, just weirdness from a distance.

Third:
I went to the little business lunch place where we get free food during intensives, and as I was eating, a group of businessmen came in, and one guy was SERIOUSLY distressed by my presence, and he made that pretty clear by glaring at me and standing with his arms crossed across from me. Like he expected me to leave or something! I've been yelled at by random men here before, and it seemed like was pretty close to going on a tirade about something to do with foreigners... or teachers... or Americans. I love the anti-American rants that get directed at me. Such fun!

Anyways... I'll be hiding in the cafe all afternoon, so hopefully I don't have any more hostility to deal with. Except of course, from students who will get back bad tests today. haha.

No comments: