Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Sore leg

My leg is killing me. About two days ago, I got a wicked blister on my left foot.
It all started a few weeks ago when both pairs of my good work shoes crapped out on me. I mean CRAPPED OUT. My good black shoes started hurting the tops of my feet, and by brown shoes, which have holes in the bottom for a long time, wore out in a way that I can feel the hole now (they're like cracks, not actual holes). I think that that is where this blister came from.
So, it's like the size of a quarter, and it's right on the ball of my foot. I was stubborn on Monday night and I actually walked home with it, and that proved to be my undoing. I got home, and my leg was just starting to hurt.
It turns out that walking for forty five minutes on the side of your foot is not good for you.
So now, two days later, my whole leg aches, my blister still hurts like hell, and now my other knee is starting to hurt from the way that I walk.
Oh you can tell by the way I use my walk I'm an injured man...
Brooke suggested that I soak my foot in some salt water, so that's what I did last night... for an hour and a half. It didn't seem to do much. I mean, it felt good, once the water cooled below scalding temperature, but it didn't seem to get rid of my blister. I'll try again tonight. It's kind of nice to soak my feet after a long day... or, at least, my foot, since I have no tub and I have to do it in my big pot.

Hey, anyone want to come over for dinner?!

Michael is back now, too. He's a good house-guest, and I think it's good for Sam to have someone around to give her some attention, since I am so busy. She started meowing early again today... I was sleeping in because I have to take a cab because of my leg, but luckily Michael was there to keep her entertained and she didn't wake me up.
Anyways... I have kids writing stories right now. I can't walk around the class, so they have to yell their questions to me, which is turning out to be easy, since they are all listening to eachothers' questions with a lot of interest. So, I'm just sitting here, I figured it was a good time to write some updates for my blog. So look forward to a day of UPDATES GALORE!

Speaking of updates galore:
I got the first three of the grade nine projects today. That's good. They'll lose marks, but at least I have something to assign marks to now.
I've given these guys pictures to write stories about too. I have high hopes for them.
There are a few really good writers in the class.
I yelled at my first class today. One kid was supposed to give his speech today, and he didn't have it, so I asked him how much time he wasted in the month I had him working on it, and he said "30 minutes." I said thirty minutes wasted or thirty minutes of work? and he said "Work".
One good thing about these kids is that they know enough English to understand that I am disappointed, and it actually seems to resonate with them. And they understand the phrase "You should be ashamed." and it seems to have an effect. We'll see how much tomorrow when he has promised to be finished his speech. I hate to say it to them, but it's honestly what I think sometimes. I mean, he had almost a month, and I know that he wasted it. Of course, his progress marks reflect that, and he knows that.
I'm in grade nine right now, or my "apathy class". They don't do anything. Understandable, I guess. I mean, they're leaving this school in a week or so, I would be pretty unmotivated in what they undoubtedly consider to be their least important class too!
It's frustrating, because their Korean teachers make them memorize, and their foreign teachers actually try to teach them how to speak and create with language, but it's seen as less important, because it doesn't directly link to a TOEFL exam. ugh.

1 comment:

Sarah L Boyd said...

**Gross Amateur Medical Advice Warning**

If the blister is that big, and isn't going down, soak it, pierce it with a sterilized needle, slather it with antibiotic cream and bandage the hell out of it.

Because blisters! Ow!

(Although it could become a novel punishment for classroom misbehaviour..."Anone who acts up has to touch my blister!") ;)