Monday, May 22, 2006

The bitterness comes out... in pointed question form

So yeah, I'm a little bitter.
Just because I teach English with/to teachers who do not know how to speak English. I know it's not a big deal. Just because they have degrees in it, it's not like they could be expected to know.

(Before I offend anyone, I will mention all the awesome people I so often mention as being awesome)

Anyways, the worst offenders, in that they offend me the most, are the ones in my workshop who come because the board makes them come, and instead of seeing this as an opportunity to improve their knowledge of their specialty, they just sit it out. Last semester was really bad, this semester was worse.

I was constantly wondering to myself just how to drive the point home that this was not a situation they should be proud of. And then it came to me, like a blinding flash of internet light...

An article in the Korean Times entitled: "DAILY PRACTICE MAKES DIFFERENCE IN ENGLISH SKILLS"

Oh yeah, this would be sweet.

I finally got to ask the questions I always wanted to, but never could without obviously saying "Hey, if you actually practiced your English, you would be a better teacher!"

Anyways, it worked well, I made the point, got the pain of last semester off my chest, and, I think it was a bit of a wake-up call for a couple of them.

The non-surprising pattern that emerged? The ones with the best English actively pursued learning after class every day. For hours sometimes. The ones who actually can talk to me all researched, studied and read/watched English books and movies every day!

Even in the face of this, some still fought me at the suggestion that they speak more English to their students. yikes.

No comments: