Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Boredom, Korean moment, contract woes.

So, Jessie's parents have left now. Not that I'm glad to see them off, but I'm kind of glad to get back to routine, because I feel like I'm losing track of my life here... I'm teaching tomorrow, and I can barely wrap my head around the fact that I have a job. So now I'm just puttering around and cleaning a little, and I'm bored.
I'm watching "Hell's Kitchen" on the style network and I'm contemplating my next move, cleaning-wise.

This morning, I was doing the same. I was cleaning up the mat in the spare room where Jessie and I had been sleeping so that her parents could have the bed. I pulled off the cover, headed to the window and shook off the dust that had collected. I looked up and saw a Korean woman doing the same, and I remembered all the times I had seen other people (women, haha) doing the same. It was a pretty Korean moment.

I always hate the end of vacation, because you jst sit and worry about what you forgot before you go back to work. And the Coxes, all packed and just waiting for the train, I hate that. You don't want to start anything, because you'll just have to leave... I don't like it. It's such an anti-climactic moment to a vacation. Anyways, they got off okay this morning. I was glad that I had the day off today and yesterday, I got to show them a little bit of our more "usual" life here, and today I got to show them to the bus station to make sure that they got off safely.

So, I was welcomed back to Yeongam with a phone call telling me that I was going to have a form brought to me that day by a boy from the boys' school that I would have to sign and return.
The form was brought to me the next day by Jaewon, the Ryu's daughter (who is a girl) brought me the form. It was only a form to resign, and I had wanted to re-apply to Gwangju, so I was a little upset about it.
I called around and stirred stuff up. I was a little pissed because I had expressed interest in returning to Gwangju, and had only said that I wanted to leave Yeongam. So, you know, why was I not being given the option? Everyone had received the same e-mail, but my forms were different!
Anyways, today I got it all straightened out. It turns out that because my contract is different, I have to resign and then reapply, because even though I received half of the same form as everyone else, I am not really associated with them. But why did I receive the same form and e-mail notices as everyone else? Who knows!
The one bad consequence of the whole thing, aside from the frustration, was that it has apprently gotten Minahn's hopes up that I will be staying in Yeongam. He called last night, all excited, saying "Mrs Lee says that you can reapply to Gwangju, and if full, you come back to our school. This brings me very happy!" (or something like that, I've helped the English, obviously). I politely said "Well, I don't know... I guess they might offer it again.", rather than just saying straight out "Hellz Naw!"
Well, if it's going to be this complicated, I think I probably will just resign and blow the whole thing off. Seoul/Busan will be much more interesting anyways.

Well, look for full details of our vacation time to come. And pictures!

No comments: