Friday, May 26, 2006

Christmas money is finally spent.

So, my parents gave me some money for Christmas. I was looking for a copy of a particular painting, and I could never seem to find it.
It's this really nice painting called "Sun, moon and five mountains", or something to that effect. I could never findit on anything but a business card holder, which was not exactly the souvenir I would wish for. It really is famous. We saw it for the first time in Gongbukgeong (sp?) palace, the big palace where we went with Steve and Crystal on our first visit on Chuseok weekend. The original is now hanging behind the desk of the president in the "Blue House".
Anyways, after months of looking, having my coteachers, Jessie's coteachers and anyone else I could think to ask keeping an eye out for it for me, I finally found it. Now, the one I found was small, and mounted in a frame. I had no interest in paying for a frame, so I asked if he had any more copies, with no frame.
Well, he did. And it was great. It was actually much different from the original, and not a print, but an actual "done in the style of..." painting. It was not a summer scene, like the one I hadbeen looking for, but a winter scene, which I thought was good, considering how crazy Koreans are about telling everyone that they have "four distinct seasons".

And I can always get the other one too at some point, I'll be here for another year, I'm sure I can find it. And that will be an amazing contrast to have up in a living room or something.

ANyways, here it is. Because it's not framed, I had to roll it up, and it is currently being flattened under the glass on our kitchen table. Pretty good display, anyways. But unfortunately, it led to a flash spot in the middle of the photo.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Picture Matt!