Tuesday, May 30, 2006

This is a test.

I am conducting a bit of a test today.
Usually, at the girls' school I dress up in a dress shirt and a tie, and dress pants, or at least khakis.
In the last few weeks, though, I have noticed that the dress of my coworkers has become more and more casual. After months of wearing dress shirts or suits to work (with the exception of a few very cold days where he wore a turtle neck) last week wore jeans and a safari shirt. Two days in a row.
Naturally, I wore jeans the next day to see if this freedom applied to me as well. It did.

Yesterday, the other young guy teacher at the school wore an untucked golf shirt and khakis. So, clearly, untucked golf shirts are acceptable.

So today is test day... can an untucked golf shirt be combined with a pair of jeans with minimal disturbance to the natural order of things? Or will I disrupt the very fabric of Confucian time and space?!?!

Well, this really should have been written in past tense, because I got my answer long ago. Basically, I have been elevated to the level of "style demigod" at my school. I was told first thing by Mr Lee this morning that I looked "more handsome than usual", which I decided to take as a compliment, despite the unintentional subtext that I usually look like crap.

So, that's awesome. I wasn't aware that golf shirts were okay here, so that will be a big relief when the hot weather comes.

More later...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was definitely a compliment! He was saying you look handsome everyday, but today you look exceptionally handsome. Stop being so modest :)