Thursday, May 18, 2006

So the word-connect game did not go so well with the grade twos. I'm not really so surprised though. The grade twos are so far behind the grade ones, and it seems like 90% of the problem is enthusiasm. I can't understand how one year seperating students can make such an incredible difference. But I go from the grade ones where I can't hear the answers because they are all yelling, to grade twos where I hear no answers because either they don't know, or they mumble so quietly that I only know they have spoken because they rapidly turn their head away when I look at them.
So, the game went from strings of forty or fifty words to strings of only five or ten words before they got stumped.
Oh well, it just meant more rounds.
I really can not understand the lack of participation. I mean, they must have moticed that the classes where they participate go faster! And the coteacher could help more, she coudl explain to get things going rather than just standing there while I try to explain things in yet another new way only to havethe kids get more and more confused...
Oh well...
In other news, I might meet a university English teacher who had offered to hook Steve up with a job. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to make a good impression on him too.
I officially have the time off to go to Seoul next week, which is really great news. Hopefully that will all work out.
What else is new? Well, there will be no summer camps in Yeongam. Which is good, because camp almost drove us crazy last semester. But it's bad, because it means less money. Still no word on the ticket situation, I guess I'll have to wait and see.
I also asked Sukkyeong for a reference letter today.She said she would be happy to do it. I wrote her a long letter about the work I feel I have done here, and told her she can use anything she feels is true in her letter, and that she can ignore anything I said if she does not agree. I get the impression that reference letters are not a common thing here. I guess they would not have to be, since so many jobs are given through connections anyways.
It rained today. It wasjust drizzling when I left school, so I thought, 'No problem, I can still go to piano'. I was wrong though. By about half way, my shirt was sticking to me pretty much everywhere, and my hair was dripping. Next thing I knew, I was home. I had just blocked out the whole trip.
Jessie was home when I got home. She had stayed home today because she was not feeling well. It was too bad, but it's nice to get home when she's already home.

That's all for now.

No comments: