Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Dodging bullets.

For some context, I suggest you review: (link)

I got an e-mail from Jessie a few minutes ago.
She (and guest) were invited to dinner at one of her coteacher's house. We went there before, it is the coteacher with a German husband and a little boy. Her name is, of course, Mrs Kim.
I got the e-mail minutes before I went to go speak to Mr Lee between periods. Added to my list of conversation topics was "Can I leave early to catch a bus to Mokpo?"
I am so thankful for that invite... first off, I like Mrs Kim, and she's a good cook. Secondly, I was about to be invited to a TRADITIONAL KOREAN DINNER!!!!
Before the invite could be offered for the staff dinner, I asked if I could leave early. "You see, I raelly don't want to leave the school early, because... well, you know, the kids... but you see, we were invited to this dinner with Jessie's coteacher, and I have already RSVPed, so you know, it might be bad form to... "
"... yes yes, of course, no worries Matthew. Of course, I am your dear friend, and I understand that you have a prior engagement. I also know that many Westerners do not like this kind of food. Of course our dinner is raw fish."
Mr Lee (pronounced "mystery") actually talks like that. He's really cute, and he's a great
coteacher, because he actually seems to understand what's going on inside my head most
of the time, rather than assuming Canadian brain=Korean brain

I could have kissed him. Really.
At lunch, things were less awesome. I was eating with Mr Hyun, which is usually the same as eating with a scratched record that repeats "Don't you thnk Korean food is delicious?". This just keeps happening until someone bumps the table, and then he skips randomly over words and phrases that make no sense until he comes to rest again at "You chopsticks very good!"
It's funny, because class 1-2, who he says is the worst class, was asking about him before he arrived again. They really don't like him. He writes them off as the worst class, but they seem to be the only class that really understands that he really doesn't understand.

Oh well... at least I know that most of these girls will have good English teachers in high school. Well... better English teachers.

No comments: