Wednesday, June 21, 2006

BUY MY GINSENG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On lunch, some new people came into the office. Nothing hew, there's a steady stream of people in and out, usually parents, but always different, always just passing through.
The Korean teacher called over to me "Matthew! Come!" and then waved at the table. I stood up to see what was happening. I assumed that maybe the teachers had been bought another watermelon or something, and I was looking forward to the refreshing treat.
When I looked up at the table I didn't see any watermelon. No snacks at all!
Turns out the people were salespeople, and I was being waved over to check out their wares.
I looked at Sukkyeong, who quickly clarified that they were selling Korean Ginseng. Like there was any question that it would be Korean. ha!
I turned to the Korean teacher and said "No thank you" and of course everyone in the office laughed, and the salespeople looked insulted.
I thoght that would be the end of it, but it just is so damned interesting.

Apparently.... There is a big crowd of about ten or fifteen teachers gathered around the table. All listening intently as this guy and his two "lovely assistants" regale them with miracle tales of health restored or improved (I assume).
Neato. But wait, now he's opened his silver protective briefcase... what's this? It's not full of delicious ginseng at all! It's a TV!!! He pulls out the remote, and the familiar infomercial music begins to blare.
Why does he have a remote? Presumably, if he opens the case every time to operate the thing, he's close enough to push the button. Oh well...
Oh, he's got cases of it next to the table... I just heard "Oh Sheep"... it's fifty something. I can't imagine it's only $50... man, it might be $500, they have a screwy way of talking about big numbers here (fifty ten thousand won is about $500). Well... no more screwy than "twenty-one hundred for 2100, I guess.
Oh, he's packing up now. That was quick. Looks pretty unsuccessful.
Oh, he just looked around the office.... he does not look happy. Not at all.

No comments: