Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Job search on hold

So, I've stopped looking for a job for a while now.
I applied to about fifteen different places, and had about five or six replies. I went to two interviews... maybe I should tell that story first.
It was last Tuesday. I left school a little early and headed into Gwangju to meet with two hagwon directors. Both meetings had been made and confirmed by e-mail, but I had phone numbers for both directors.
I arrived at around 6:10, which would normally be plenty of time to make it to my first meeting at 6:30. Unfortunately, not only was it rush hour, the hagwon was also in the geumho neighbourhood, near the world-cup stadium, which was already filling up with Koreans hoping to ctach the televised game on big projection screens at TEN o'clock. So, I didn't get there until almost 6:50.
I started talking to the director, and she seemed really nice. The downside was that there were no other foreigners, but she had offered almost immediately to move the apartment closer to the school so that I could walk my dog more easily. So she seemed nice, very accomodating, and she definitely didn't seem like she was a no-nothing hack whose husband had bought her a hagwon to give her something to do (as sometimes happens). She handed me a contract to look over, and then asked me if I could begin in three weeks.
I said "No, as I said in my cover letter I am unavailable to start until October." I didn't mention the multiple date references in the e-mails as well. Then she tried to convince me that I should sign the contract and then it would be my job to find someone to fill in in the meantime, until I could begin working there. Yeah, that's not happening.
So that school was out.
I left the hagwon at about 7:25, which gave me almost no time to get to another school near "a library", where I had said that I would be at about 7:30. So, I was going to be late. A very bad start, but easily covered, because I had travelled an hour and a half for the meeting, and any lateness could be blamed on the bus system, and they had said any time until eight was okay anyways.
I got into the cab, and told the cabbie the name of the library. I can't remember what it was right now, but I can remember what it was about it that made it impossible for me to communicate.
You see, when Korean is written in English, the divisions between syllables get lost. So here's the problem. Is "Jungang" pronounced "Joong-ahng", or is it pronounced "Joon-gang"? In English, it is of course the first, with a little kick off the first g on your way by. But in Korean, either pronunciation is acceptable, and equally possible if you can't see it written in Korean.
I tried to communicate this to the cab driver by shrugging, saying both names, and then looking at him hopefully. Needless to say, he did not understand. I figured later that it must have been equivalent to someone getting into a cab and saying "forest florist".
No big deal right? I've got the phone number. But wait, they only e-mailed me the local number, without and area code, for some reason, since you seem to need an area code to call from just about anywhere. So, now I have no idea where I'm going and no way of calling to ask for help. There goes the idea of calling and having them explain the directions to the cabbie.
Then I thought I would try the info booth at the bus station. Oh crap, five dollar cab ride only to realize that it was closed for the day.
So, whatever, I'll go shopping. I wanted to get some oatmeal anyways, and I can only do that in Gwangju. Might as well not waste the trip.
So I went for the oatmeal. I was just on the way to a PC bang (which I also looked for before seeking out oatmeal, unsuccessfully) to e-mail the school and tell them that I could not find them and that their phone number would not work when they called me. I was walking by a bar at the time, so I barely heard the ring, but in the back of my head I thought "Hey! I know that cheesy Korean pop song from somewhere!"
I explained the situation, and got into a cab, and gave the phone to a cab driver so that she (the interviewer) could tell the driver where I had to go. Well, I was on the wrong side of the street. Nevermind that the cab could have turned around, I was forced to cross the street into another cab. Normally, that would not have bothered me, BUT he hung up the phone! Why would he have done that? Answer: He's an idiot.
Now here I was on the other side of the street, and scanning through all of the Korean menu options trying to reason out which might be "Incoming Calls". I finally find it, and just about to hit dial when she calls back. We were both a little frustrated by this point, which made me scared for the interview.
At any rate, I finally get to the hagwon where I have the meeting. I sit down, we have a nice chat, but the interviewer keeps asking me about my use of the text book in spite of the fact that in response to her first question I explained how I had not used a textbook and had created my own curriculum for the year.
"Oh, I see! How did you motivate students who were not interested in the textbook?"
"GAH!"
So, I didn't feel like it went well. Approaching the end of the interview she asked me "It says in your introduction letter that you can not start until October, but you end your contract in August. Can you start earlier?"
No, actually, as stated quite plainly in the letter and then again at several points during the interview, I will be unavailable to start until early October.

I got an e-mail a couple of days later saying that they wanted someone who would start in August. So why did they even interview me! READ THE DAMNED LETTER PEOPLE!

I sent out an e-mail a couple of days ago to the first hagwon explaining that since I could not find anyone to fill in until October, that I thought that they should keep looking for someone else. I also explained that I would not be replying to any position until late July or August, as the uselessness of looking for a job now was becoming clear, and I don't want to be limited in the future by my present options.
She called me yesterday and insisted that it was no problem, that she could handle no native speaker until October, and that I should go ahead and sign the contract anyways. Oh yeah, I'm pretty eager to do that. Then I can watch all the better jobs sail by while holding my crappy contract.
Anyways, I told her to keep looking and that I would not be signing a contract until I had had time to explore all of my options. She told me to sign again. I told her that I would keep her in mind and then hung up.

What really burns me is that it's not even the quality of my application or my persona that is being evaluated, I think. It's just that she wants someone, and I am here.
Maybe she'll be willing to pay more for me closer to the day though... cross your fingers! If nothing else comes up, she may be the one!

No comments: