Thursday, June 01, 2006

Life's been good to me so far...

So, I'm at the boys' school right now.
It's been two weeks or so since I have seen Sukkyeong, so I was catching her up on the events of the last few weeks, and I realized:

My Life Rocks.
Yeah, so here's the rundown on things that rock, specifically about me:
  • Jessie (specifically, her being with me). Yeah, that's great. She's awesome, and we have been having so much fun together lately, and I feel good. In the back of my mind, there's bittersweetness, because I know that in three months or so, we'll be returning to long distance for another year. There'll be more stuff about her coming up in future points!
  • My guitar playing/singing. Not to toot my own horn, I'm no Chad Kroeger or anything (ha!), but I can carry my own. After not playing for a few weeks, it was great to get out to the Speakeasy on my birthday and play a couple of sets. I even got a rockin' blister on my right hand index finger (that's aggressive strumming, my friend), which means I can touch things now and not feel anything! I'm like that guy from James Bond, except about 1/10000th as amazing.
  • Dogs. Dogs are great. I love dogs. Since my birthday visit to the dog cafe (Jessie rocks), I have been three other times. In five days. To a place 1.5 hours away. I'm giving serious thought to buying a dog when I am here alone (and yes, parents, I am thinking of what I will do with it when I come back, and how big a responsibility a dog is, you know, versus a cat or a child). I'm going to research some good apartment breed in the mid-size to compact range. I'm thinking sporty, but I don't want to overcompensate...
  • frigging classes. I have been rocking those lately too. Bingo? How's about an awesome variation of bingo that Jessie just told me about? Yeah, I thought you'd like that. A crossword review in Korean? Yeah, I wrote that out myself. No big whoop, once you've studied your hangul. A story about my being late in the morning turns into a lesson in spite of a total lack of planning, and somehow it goes amazingly well? Well, I did that too. And in between, they're learning how to read and write comparitive sentences. I just bravoed my life.
  • Job prospects. Yeah well, there may be a job in Bucheon, there may be a job at a university an hour from Seoul, there may be countless other positions I am considering. But add in that some new friends in Gwangju are looking to hook me up, and you've got a recipe for a rocking year of rocking.
  • Meeting new people. I keep meeting new people. They're all great in their own unique way, whether they're funny, or cool, or they remind me of Steve's impression of a nerd so much that just being in their presence makes me pee my pants with laughter (and pee). All of these people are making the idea of being here for another year without Jessie a lot less scary a prospect.
  • Paintings. I have been to Art Street twice in the last week, and I am really starting to like paintings. Is that really bourgeoise? Well, I don't care. I like bright colours, and I like having things that people have made, and I like rewarding people for making things that I like. Next year, if I do wind up in Gwangju, I'm definitely going to sign up for some art classes on Art Street.
  • My wardrobe. I'm finally getting the right lightness of pants so that I don't die this summer. Have I mentioned that it's really hot in Korea? Well, it is.
  • Outback Cheesy Fries. Maybe yesterday I went a little overboard by actually finishing the appetizer order of fries as my whole meal. But once I begin to see plate, I am beyond the point of no return. It's now a challenge. A challenge to clear the whole plate before I pass out. Which is easy, because they're so good, and they come with an amazing garlic sauce. But then you get near the end, and you're thinking "You've gotta do this! It was 9000 won!" so you keep going, even though your body is doing everything in its power to send you the message "Stop now, for God's sake!" Bottom line, they're delicious, and are usually followed by a gret nap.
  • Random vacation days. For those of you who have never worked in Korea, this is a phenomenon that occurs when someone drops something, on a day on which something happened or someone was born, Tuesdays, rainy days, sunny days and days that beging with W. Basically, any day might turn out to be a random holiday. You just never know. You might be walking along, minding your own business, and suddenly, it's a holiday. No warning. No notice. IN the last month, I didn't work one normal week. And in the couple, I made good use of my few days off, and it has been great. Whee!

That's all for now.

No comments: