Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Exit music

School has been going well so far this week. I told all of my classes that our next class would be our last class, and all of the classes at the girls' school seemed pretty upset about it, which was really nice. We finished our movie, I gave them a little puzzle/dictionary thing to do, and told them they had two weeks to finish it, but they had to finish it in time for our last class.
They all asked why, and seemed angry when I told them that I would come back to Korea but not to Yeongam. Oh well. I explained to my favourite group that it was because there are no other English speakers in Yeongam, and that I am lonely. They seemed cool with that.
Same thing at the boys' school. Well, almost. We finished a movie, I handed out an activity, they started, and then I tried to explain that the next class was my last class. Of course, I'm thinking that they did not understand. A few said "No!" and "Why?!" but most just had blank stares.
I guess it will sink in when I start saying goodbye, and give them my e-mail address.

I'm definitely going to miss the girls as a group more than I will the boys. The boys have been so hard to engage and are generally uninterested in English. I guess that's the difference between a public boys' school and a private academic girls' school as much as anything. There are some boys that I will really miss, but I honestly think that for the most part I will be happy to be done here. The teachers and staff are great, but the boys are so difficult.
Oh well... only one more class. haha.

No comments: