Monday, July 10, 2006

Upwards rain, upwards rain (to the tune of purple rain)

It is the rainy season, as I think I have mentioned before.
Holy freaking crap, I have never ever seen rain like this before. And I've touched the rains down in Africa.
I was trying to explain to the girls that usually rain goes down. But today, it was going diagonally, straight across, and even up at a few points.
The wind woke me up at around five o'clock this morning. I knew it was five because the sky was just beginning to lighten.
The howling kept me up until almost seven (fading in and out), at which point I fell asleep for a sweet fifteen minutes.
The wind kept howling when I woke up. Our laundry, drying on the enclosed balcony was drenched if it was hanging more than about two feet from the ceiling.
That looked to be about the end of the excitement. And then Jessie left.
As soon as she opened the door, the air saw it chance, and snaked through the open window through our bedroom and rushed out into the hall.
The door slammed.

Hard.

There was some other banging, but we thought it was no big deal. Jessie headed out, I went to the bedroom to get dressed (I just got out of the shower).
I reached for the doorknob, and there was no doorknob. Just a hole in the door.
The force of the wind had been strong enough to slam the door so hard that the knob flew off. There were srping and bits of metal everywhere. Oh, the humanity.
So here I am in a towel, with all of my clothes behind a door that I cannot open.
But then I remember that the balcony window opens into the bedroom as well. It's an enclosed balcony, I wasn't considering any action hero/hanging off the building kind of stuff.
Either way, I meant a whole lot of mooning of a whole lot of Yeongam, I am pretty sure.
So, I get in, and walk to the door to open it from the inside. But I forgot that I am an idiot, so I am now locked in the room, because the knob took with it the part that actually opened the door.
So I crawl back out through the window (in boxers this time) and get a butterknife that I use to pull the door mechanism open. Crisis averted, the door is propped open.

Here's the doorknob carnage: (coming soon)

Then I call a cab. It was around 8:25, which I see now may have been pushing it a bit.
I head down to the foyer at 8:30, and the doors are blown open. They can be locked shut, but considering that they are un-reinforced glass plates, it's probably not a great idea.
The rain is blowing in about twenty feet from the doorway, which means that the elevator is almost getting wet. There's a giant puddle in the doorway that is actually forming waves that ebb and flow up the wheelchair ramp.
I stand in the most sheltered part of the mail area, which is still getting really wet (It's almost 12:30, and my pants are still soaked from the knees down), when this woman from our building (who once asked us to tutor her daughter) who always gives me a ride offers me a ride. I manage to communicate to her (by wild gesturing through her car window) that I had called a cab already. Or that I was having a seizure... one or the other. Either way, she drove away.
I don't wear a watch, but I start to feel that pretty significant period of time has gone by, so I head to the elevator, figuring that I will be able to run up and check the kitchen clock before a cab driver has time to pull up, get angry, and finally drive off. I hit the elevator button (the stairs are pretty slick with rain blowing in from the windows), and it finally comes. The doors open, but they don't close. There's is too much wind pressure from the doorway! They CAN'T close. They try to. You can hear the motor wearing... reerrrr rrreerrrr... but it stops with about 6 inches left, and even with my hands helping it along, it decides it will be easier to just stay open.
So I head back to the foyer. The cab comes about ten minutes later. And the whole thing gives me a hilarious story to tell my students on my last day.

Right on.

No comments: