Sunday, July 23, 2006

Homestretch

So, this is officially coming to an end.
I have a week off before I return to camp for two weeks, then Mongolia, then off to Canada!
This week I have a couple of interviews, and am planning to do some serious work on my correspondence course so that I can write my exam in the month that I am home.
I have to think about packing now, because the next few weeks will be too busy. I'm starting to think about whether or not groceries will keep. Will Tabasco last for a month? It's about $10 a jar, I don't want to start again and have to buy a new one! Is that really cheap?
It feels weird, because I look around and marvel at the stuff we have and think "How can we possibly get all of this home? But then I realize that we don't earn the furniture... Especailly with leaving stuff here, I think I will have no issues getting my stuff home.
I'm starting to get excited about seeing my family, Bridie, my first second-cousin, and about looking for a dog of my own.

I went out today to buy some chicken and baguette to make some subs for dinner tonight, and I had so many students say hello. As much as I complain about the lack of anonymity, I will really miss having everyone say hello to me all of the time. The thing that annoys me is random people saying hello not to say hi or be nice, but just for the novelty of getting the response. But I really will miss living in a town where half of the people know me because they either are my students or the parents of my students.
Seriously... about 700 students or so, plus family, plus the shopkeepers and such that I have become acquainted with? I am the biggest fish in this tiny pond, and I'm going to miss having someone to say hi to me everywhere I go.

No comments: