Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Last Wednesday

So, today was hot, as previously mentioned.

The first class, with the party, was great.

The second class was a bit of an adventure.
It started with one of my favourite students coming into the staff room before class started.
He said "Teacher, today is your last day. May we watch a movie?"
I figured what the hell, why not, I was just going to play a game anyways.
He said "Teacher, it is horror movie."
I said "Is it okay for school?"
He said that they had already watched some of it in their history class.
I figured it must be tame horror, like "Scream"or something, just more of a thriller than anything.
I was wrong. It was "Creep". That movie is horrible. I was shocked and turned it off after about ten minutes. I've linked to the wikipedia (click on the title) if you want to check out just why this movie was so horrible for schoolkids (I stopped the film at "caesarian").
The biggest shock, once you get over the fact that they would actually try to get away with watching it at school, was that apparently another teacher had allowed them to watch it for a whole period. Another thing that shocked me was the faces of a few of the students when I finally did stop it. They all were cheering when I asked if they wanted to watch the movie instead of playing a game, but apparently they signed up for the movie without really looking into what that would mean. One guy, who is usually very "too cool for school" had this look of horror on his face, and could only say "Very very bad movie".
We wound up playing the game that we were going to play anyways. It was good. Once the movie was off.
The next class was 1-1, and they were better than usual. Not much more to comment on there. Except that one guy gave me a pen with a note that said "This pen is for you" but the "pen" and "is" were close enough to make me do a double take. That was really nice. I got a lot of nice notes.
The last class today was 1-3, which has undergone a huge switch from the dreaded grade one class to the one that I look forward to the most. Basically I have just realized that I can't expect things to go the way I want in that class. So I have to let them lead, and they usually do a great job and lead themselves to everything I want to cover anyways. When I arrived, they had the board all decorated for me and they cheered really loudly for me. It was amazing. It was nice, because I think they were unprompted, they just did it.
We had a really fun class, played my matching game and then category hangman, and it was fun. Then I showed them the fat guy numa numa video online, and they laughed like crazy.
I had a good day, teaching.
But then I had two hours of sitting until the end of the day, and I was reminded of why I am leaving the public school system here.

Two days left!

No comments: