Friday, July 28, 2006

Random thoughts

Jessie and I were talking last night, and she pointed out something that is absolutely stunning.
If we hadn't taken the GIC tour at the beginning of July, I would never have heard about the job from John, and I would probably be working at crappy hagwon number two just because I had nothing to contrast it to.
So yeah, if you haven't been paying attention/I forgot to post about it, I got the job at awesome hagwon number one.
Jessie was telling me about her camp. It sounds like she had a pretty fun time, teaching and socializing and TPing indoor trees and imitating ninjas. The downside of the whole camp is, of course, the competition aspect. Specifically that if there are four pretty even teams, one has to lose, and in this country, that's just not cool. The kids can't ever have fun, it always has to be about the competition.
I didn't feel bad when my team won, because they pretty much swamped the other teams. But when they're evenly matched, and the effort is pretty even, it sucks that one team has to be told that they are the losers.
The closing ceremony is today, and is scheduled to be forty-five minutes long. However, this is the first year that they are deciding to give each student an individual award. SO they made up awards like "Best actor" and "best singer" and the like. SO, those awards are pretty individual, right? Well, they want the teachers to make little speeches about each student. I really doubt that this will take only 45 minutes.
Today we are meeting in Mokpo to go to the pension office. We have to arrange to have our pension money reimbursed to us after our contract is over. We're going with Jessie's coteacher, so hopefully it will go well. I can imagine quite a few ways that this could get screwed up.

Well, I should go, because my attention is wandering and I can barely string my thoughts together. Time for a coffee, I guess.

No comments: