Saturday, July 15, 2006

Last afternoon at the boys' school

My last class at the boys’ school went just swimmingly. It was 1-3, the class that is loud, but lots of fun. They were pretty desperate for candy too, which made it easy to get them quiet.
After the class, I had a couple of hours free before the volleyball game. The epic match between the teachers of the middle school and the high school. I forgot to mention, but because the match was happening, I had to be at school for 8:40 (classes started early so that the game could start early). I almost forgot, and wound up almost running to school.
Anyways, the game was better than most. For once, I was told in advance, so I brought some shorts and wore a shirt that was okay for volleyball, which was great, because it was about 35 degrees.
It was actually a lot of fun. Everyone was friendly and trying to talk to me, which I sort of assumed that it was because it was my last day. But I found out today (it’s now Saturday) that they didn’t even know! More on the later…
Volleyball was pretty fun, but once again I was super annoyed by the physed teacher, who played almost the entire court, and then glared at people when they were too intimidated to go for the ball. No wonder! The guy would just run into you at any time!
I met the high school English teachers too, who were really nice. It’s too bad that I am just meeting them now, because they could have been good people to know for my entire time here.
I was tired of losing at one point (the high school teachers were kicking our ass pretty brutally), and it was my serve (the only thing I can really do well), so I started serving to the weak players. We got twelve straight points. I don’t know how that is possible, or how that works with the actual rules of volleyball… but we never change positions either, I had always played before with some sort of rotation.
AT one point, the ball bounced onto the little buffet table they had set up next to the game. When the ball got bounced over to me, it was all greasy and slimy. I didn’t realize later that evening that I had eaten the pork that the ball had probably bounced all over. Sick.
At any rate, after we won a game and I had gotten us three points into the next game, I started to feel like a jerk, so I hit it to a strong player. He hit it back, they got a point, and they proceeded to sweep the rest of the game.
HILARIOUS!
The guy who loves me was back on the “being creepy” shift. He called me over, proceeded to look me up and down, and then insisted that I sit with him. I sat with him for a few minutes, but I wanted to take pictures, so I tried to leave. He grabbed me and sat me down. I finally just walked away and didn’t say goodbye until I was out of reach. He’s so creepy! There’s something about him… there are no other teachers who make me feel so creeped out.
I took some pictures, but the camera that I have is pretty bad for action pictures, so none really turned out. Unfortunately, the horizontal problem is also getting worse.
After the game, I said goodbye to a few of the teachers who I was closer to, and I almost cried! Especially saying goodbye to the Korean teacher, I was getting pretty choked up. He was just so nice to me all year, and probably made more of an effort than anyone else who wasn’t getting payed to make an effort. He was always giving me tea, calling me over to games and stuff that people were playing, and high-fiving me for no reason.
And then there is the other teacher who was nice, always bringing me food and saying hello to me… I told her I would cook her dinner if she came to visit me in Gwangju.
I finally left, and I took the long way home. Bad choice. The soju and plum wine from the buffet table combined with the heat made it very very difficult to get home. It was so hot! When I was about 300m off from home, it actually became difficult to lift my feet. I made it home, and Jessie wanted to play a game… I had a shower, and joined her on the couch, where I promptly fell asleep. Then it was nap time…

No comments: