Thursday, July 13, 2006

like pulling teeth

I had kind of hoped that my last class with 2-2 at the boys' school would be a change from the usual pace. I mean, teaching that class is roughly equivalent to trying to stick things to teflon.
It's not that they're stupid or anything, it's just they have this complete block on giving any sort of response to any question. So usually I just pace around the class trying to get through my lesson, and trying to make a topic geared to discussion last at least half of the class when they decide that discussion is not an option.
"How did you do on your exams?"
...
"How were your exams?"
...
"Did you pass your exams?"
...
"Did you do well on your exams?"
...
"Exams good?"
...
"Or exams bad?"
...
"Okay, oh yes, a hand is up, good! How did you do?"
"Teacher... Exams study..."
"Okay, you studied, that's good! How did you study?"
...
"What did you do to study?"
...
"Did you use books?"
...
"Did you study?"
... ... ... "I study hagwon."
"Okay, you studied at a hagwon, or an academy [writes 'I study at an academy' on the board]. What else do you do?"
...
"What about your books? Do you use your books?"
[coteacher prompts a student at the back, one who definitely knows an answer anyways and just chooses not to answer]
"I read."
"Good! You read your books to study. But, reading is not enough! What else do you do?"
...
"I like to highlight" [demonstrates highlighting on the board]
[students nod]
"What about you notebooks? What do you do with them?"
...
"What do you do with your notebooks?" [removes pronoun]
...
"What do you write in your notebooks?"
"note?" [that's actually the Koren word for notebook, but I decided to go with it anyways, because I know no-one will actually say 'write notes' and mean it in the correct way]
"That's right! You write notes in your notebook. Then you study those."[at this point even I am having to slap myself occasionally to keep my eyes open]
...
"Okay, so that's how you study. Let's play a game." [said very quickly as I desperately erase the board, in a manner suggesting that the words themselves are causing me pain]

So then we moved on to the game. They did pretty well with the obvious ones, but unlike the grade ones, they were not able to piece together the less obvious clues. Oh well.
One kid cleaned his glasses as he stared off out the window through the whole class. He didn't even look up from it, he clearly had somewhere better to be.

I'm with you, kid.

No comments: