Sunday, October 09, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone over there in Canada!

I hope everyone is with their families/friends and is getting full of awesome food. I just had cream of corn soup. It was better than I had expected, but no match for the usual Thanksgiving dishes...

In honour of the season, I will compose some lists:

Things I am thankful for in Korea:
1. There is no enforcement of the garbage bag policy. You see, in Korea, you have to buy certain garbage bags to have your trash picked up. We don't know where to buy them, and thankfully, we haven't gotten in trouble for throwing our shopping bags filled with trash into the disposal area.
2. The school board bought us an iron. Seriously, no-one will ever understand how worried I was about this. Even I don't on most days.
3. Cheese at the E-mart.
4. Shower curtains.
5. Coteachers who speak English.
6. Mountain views and parks.
7. The fruit truck.
8. Very, very cheap public transit.
9. Becoming a millionaire. Even if it is in won...
10. Jessie, here with me in Korea. I'd probably be insane if she wasn't here, and we couldn't rant and vent to eachother. Plus, I'd probably be insane if she wasn't here anyways...

Things Canadians should be thankful for, and probably take for granted (ignoring family, because that's the one even the dumb cousin gets right at the FAMILY dinner):
1. Sane drivers, parking spaces, wide roads, brands other than Hyundai and Kia.
2. Not waking up with a horrible taste in your mouth. Seriously, it must be in the air here. Unfortunately, no-one here knows what I am talking about, because for them, that's just what mouth tastes like.
3. No huge trucks barreling down the street fumigating, stinking up everything, and leaving a trail of higher cancer risk behind it. It would be funny to see all the little kids chasing after it and laughing at the smoke, if it wasn't so damn wrong.
4. Ovens, electric elements, spices, cheese, 2% and 1% milk, good chocolate.
5. People who you can talk to.
6. Not getting mobbed by tween girls every time you leave the house.
7. Understanding what is happening the other 93% of the time.
8. Used stores. Any used stores, whether for clothes, electronics, furniture, music...
9. Good radio. I miss the CBC so much, and somedays I even wish for the Fox or K-Rock. Even if only to help me finally get a different Three-Doors Down song to keep popping into my head and annoying the hell out of me. Seriously, it sucks. "Here without you Bay-beh!" (I think...)
10. Cake that tastes like cake. Seriously, if I put one more cake into my mouth that tastes like rice, or one more donut that explodes with disgusting black bean paste all over my tongue, I will promptly sew my mouth shut. I just want one piece of devil's food cake, or a brownie... oh man, I'd kill for a brownie. Ask me to kill for a brownie.

Anyways, enjoy your big dinners, and try to make it to the couch and undo your pants button before you fall asleep.

All the best. Happy Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt!

I find your bog entries/emails so entertaining and insightful. I hope that your future travels bring you back to a town near one that I am in so I can conventiently run into you on your way to Dairy Queen again.
I really appreciated your 'thankful' list because I was having sort of similar thoughts today. My parents are moving and I had to sift through a crapload of stuff from my childhood and it made me realize just how incredibly fortunate I have been. (I also thought of the pumpkin pie and apple pie sitting on the counter when you talked about cake - I will have an extra peice for you.) Anyway, it also made me realize how NOT thankful I was as a child, so I gave it all away in hopes that some less fortunate children will really appreciate it.
I'm glad that you seem to be enjoying your time in Korea - I think you are very brave for doing what you're doing.
Happy Thanksgiving Matt (and Jessie!)

-Dana

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt,
Jackie and I are enjoying your blog. You're a funny guy! We had been enjoying sunny weather in the high 20s but as Thanksgiving approached it dropped to 5 degrees and started to rain. Ain't that typical? We had a great Turkey dinner on Saturday and as you know a good talk with Jessie on Sunday morning. Sorry we missed you but Jess said you had fallen asleep on the couch.
Roy MacGregor is forwarding you a Globe&Mail article about the Korean authorities arresting hundreds of illegal Canadian English teachers. What's up with that?
Anyway the turkey is all eaten along with the pumpkin pie so there's not much to do here but wait for the leaves to fall and the snow to come. Talk to you soon.
Ralph