Friday, October 07, 2005

Little Korean stalkers saved me from littler Korean stalkers - Sept 15

Yesterday, on the way home from school I turned to find two little girls were following me. They were probably only 10 or 11, and laughed everytime I turned around, but pretended not to be noticing, or not following me.

Anyways... After about ten minutes, there was no doubt that I was officially being tailed. It's nothing new, I usually have a trail of children following me, but I always just assume it's the halo that they're seeing, that they're chasing.

The big difference is, most times, kids make it really obvious that they are following me. There is usually no doubt, because they constantly yell "HI!" or "Nice to meet you!" or "I'm hungry!" over and over again. But these girls were trying not to be noticed, desperately. A few times I turned and told them "I don't think you should follow me", but then I remembered. "Oh yeah, they don't speak no english. Her-hyuk."

Anyways, I was headed for the grocery store, so I thought I would have some fun. I weaved in and out of aisles to try to lose them, and doubled back so I was behind them. It was actually a lot of fun! They caught on that I knew, so they made no more attempts to hide their stalking, and for a few minutes, I was that cool adult that joins in the road hockey game with the neighbourhood brats.

But then... well, it got old. I wanted to go home. And I didn't want them to follow me home (although, it's pretty futile. They ALL know where I live. I usually hear my apartment building's name and my apartment number whispered as I walk into a new class... sigh... small town).
I walked up alleys, took fast corners, ducked through stores. They didn't understand... the game was not on, and I was revving my SUV, so they had better clear the nets... Anyways, I finally gave up, and just sat down on a bench, figuring that would signal my defeat, and they would move on. Nope, they just hid behind a car accross the street.

So, I got up, defeated, and prepared myself to have snickering girls follow me right up to the point where I was sliding my key into the door.

As I rounded a corner, my salvation was there, in the form of Korean tween girls! My middle school students! They'll know what to do! As soon as they saw me, I was mobbed, and the stalking torch was passed. The little girls were too embarassed to continue, and they disbanded! success!

Fortunately, middle school girls can take a hint, and after they told me that their favourite pop group singers were very very handsome, and then reassured me that I was handsome too (apparently, I needed the reassurance), they set off for some kim-bap (sushi).

Anyways... that's what my daily life is like here.

Hope you are all keeping busy and having fun.

No comments: