Monday, October 10, 2005

Thanksgiving Holiday

So, today is a holiday in Canada. Thanksgiving Monday. That would be pretty nice.

I am not bitter about not having the day off because we have had so many Korean holidays to enjoy. Well okay, two. One for Korean Thanksgiving, and one for "Foundation Day" or something, I'm still not sure, that celebrates a legend about the origins of Korea involving a birth, a bear, and a hunter, I think. I don't know, but the birth was Korea. Somehow.

But I came very very close to being bitter a few minutes ago when I found out that YESTERDAY was a national holiday, and that is the days had fallen differently, it could have resulted in a work-free day. Oh well, I reminded myself, you've had a lot of holidays already.

Jessie and I took a wonderful walk last night at sunset, which started as a walk for groceries, but wound up taking us in exactly the opposite direction. We wound up in some farmer's fields, and we witnessed a beautiful pink sunset from a hill top through a break in the trees where the path went down the hill. Our building is on the east side of the hill, which means beautiful sunlit morning coffees, and our well-times trip down the other side of the hill behind the building meant we were in the right place at the right time for the sunset. It was really amazing, with more mountains in the foreground.

Anyways, we wound up getting really lost, and it was a little scary, because after the sunset, there was a lot of darkness... and there were big spiders everywhere. I'm not usually squeamish about spiders... but what if they were poisonous. One was as big as the spiders from arachnophobia, which freaked me out a lot. And another was about the size of the last digit of my baby finger, and neon green. craziness!

So we stole some parsimmons from the orchard we wound up in, which is sure to make them all the more delicious.

Anyways, last morning I got to talk to a bunch of people from my mom's family, which was pretty great, since I didn't get to see them for Thanksgiving. My cousin Nathania is going to have a byb, which is the big news right now, and is pretty awesome! I'll have a new second cousin (or something) when I get home!

More to come later.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: