Thursday, October 20, 2005

Rough week

Anyways, Monday was ROUGH. I arrived at the girl's school all peppy and ready to go, and worked solid for the first hour that I was there. Then, it came time for class, and no-one was there! No-one! Then, I started to hear crying. Then, thirty girls came in, about half of them bawling, and the other half in obvious distress about something. My co-teacher told me that the students were upset because one of the teachers had died that morning. I didn't know what to do! I spent the first five minutes handing out tissues, and then my coteacher told me that I should just continue with whatever I had planned for the day. As if I could do that! We went really easy for the first while, doing an activity that had taken other classes about ten minutes in about twenty-five, and then I just showed them pictures from Canada, which, luckily, my parents had sent the night before.
Tuesday was very very easy. They had midterms at the girls' school, so I was just left in the english lab to my own devices all day. What an opportunity for productivity! I can practice my Korean, plan lessons more in advance, correspond with people. This is going to be great! Of course... I COULD just play online games all day.
You'd be surprised how entertaining a game that involves throwing a guy at a target can be.
I got to go home early, and I started this entry. It is now Thursday, and I am just finishing it. It has been a bad week for work.
Yesterday I had my first lesson bomb since I got here. I prepares a lesson on movies, because on my first day, they had all asked me about movies. So I figured, arm them with the words they need to talk about movies, and they'll try to talk to me more! I even did a survey last week to try and make sure that I wouldn't go too far over their heads. Well, it didn't work. It was like talking to a wall yesterday, for all they understood. I had to totally revamp the lesson between classes, and I now have it in a form that will work really well at the girls' school. Kind of sucks for the boys' school though. The problem was I introduced way too many words at once. I hadn't meant to, but it turns out they knew less than they had let on in their surveys, probably because they used dictionaries to fill them out. Well, I've decided that I'm going to try to have slide-show presentations to accimpany all lessons, so I can point to things. It shouldn't be hard to do, I only teach one lesson a week!
It's getting to be nice here. I've settled into a bit more of a routine, which is good and bad, but mostly just comfortable. I've been tired lately, which is not so good, and I'm back drinking coffee, although it's instant cappuccino mix, so I'm not even sure if it has caffeine, or just ridiculous amounts of sugar.
I think I have mentioned before the kid who ushers me everywhere and treats me like a king. Well, it's really starting to rub me the wrong way. Now, in the middle of class, he will stand up and "present" my chair to me. Or just stand next to me in the staff room for three or four minutes. I actually timed. Just stand there, JUST inside my personal space boundary... showing me his thundercats watch (at least, that is what it looks like) again and again. Or, when the modd takes him, reaching over what I am doing to pass me my water from where I had put it to get it out of the way. It's hard, because he's really nice, but I wnat him to leave me alone approximately 34% more. That's not much right? Just let me do some work. Or write e-mails. Or get back to my online game...
One more thing: I'm playing at the school's festival. (he just came in! the kid! He stood DIRECTLY next to me for about three minutes. I entertained him by naming things on the desk) I'm not sure what to play. They only listen to ballads here... and I feel like I should play something that is definitively Canadian. If you have any suggestions, send them to me!

That's all for now... more this afternoon. only one more class today, then the afternoon off!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt, You should sing Four Strong Winds, the top Canadian song per CBC fifty tracks. Much better than the Hockey Game by Stompin' Tom!
Ralph

Anonymous said...

Matt, as you may know I am extremely partial to Hawksley Workman ;) ... and I think you do an amazing job with his music! So go Hawksley .... or my second choice would be something by Gordon Lightfoot ... he is such a great Canadian legend!
-Jean

Anonymous said...

Definitely Gordon Lightfoot...my personal favourites are Carefree Highway and If You Could Read My Mind, but there he has so many great Canada-themed songs too.
-Katie

Anonymous said...

Tragically Hip? Joni Mitchell? Sum 41? (Hahahahah! just kidding.)