Thursday, October 27, 2005

This is my life

Kim Man-woo just left the english lab. Finally. You may remember, he's the young lad who won't leave me alone. Who ushers me everywhere.
After lunch, he charged in here, and came to a stop once again just a little bit too close. And just stood there. He didn't seem to want to talk, so I tried to make myself as boring as possible so he would leave. So, I googled people I used to know in France.
But he didn't leave. He just watched, apparently really interested. So I figured I might as well try to be interesting, and I looked up some pictures of North Bay to show him. Then, I realized just how boring North Bay is. Seriously. Boring.
Then he went to the board. "Teacher sorry". "It's okay". But maybe it wasn't. Maybe he farted. Otherwise I have no idea why he keeps apologizing. So, it's okay for now.
He wrote some gibberish, and then "Sonata", then a car and a school. I figured that meant he rode to school in a Hyundai Sonata. Neat-o. Then we pointed at stuff and he said the colours, and I helped him when he needed it.
He went back to the board, wrote "Stuck on you" in Korean letters, but so that it was the english pronunciation (스듞언유), and then asked me if I liked TV. When I was answering, he started unbuttoning his jacket. He's always really (really) liked me, but the chivalry of him removing his jacket and attempting to drape it over my shoulders still really surprised me. He just left, and I'm a little relieved. He seemed just a little bit too close to rubbing my shoulders or trying to hug me (again).
The TV thing is really common here, and has become a bit of a game for Jessie and I. We always watch for "러서배거스" (Rassa Begassa, or "Las Vegas") or "하우스" (Howoossa, or "House"), which are the two best ways to spend an evening in Yeongam. Also, it's fun to try to pick out movies, but then every tenth movie or so will be completely different in Korean. Like "Monster in Law" is being released here as "Perfect Wedding", which will probably show up on TV as "Purpectuh Wedding". As you can see, we need new games.
Today was pretty brutal. It was my first day back after being sick, so I figured I would take it easy. Real easy. I had one class that was a week behind, so they got last week's lesson, but the other classes just got shown pictures from home and heard me ranting about Canada.
First class (the one that was a week behind): I arrived with a prepared powerpoint slideshow on movie genres, and on nouns and adjectives to use when talking about movies (ie, sci-fi had "future, space, aliens, technology, neat"). I turned on the computer, and tried to put in the CD-rom, and one of the students yelled "No CD!". Apparently, that classes CD-rom didn't work. So, back to the English Lab, where there is no assigned seating, and it is basically the wildest place on earth. I don't want to teach in the english lab anymore. Ever. We got through it, they semi-payed attention, I took away some stuff. Great.
Second class: I arrived with a powerpoint presentation ready to go featuring pictures from Canada and stories about my family and friends (the students now know all of your dirty secrets). I got it all loaded up, only to find out that the computer was not hooked up to the TV. While some students struggled to fix it, I regaled them with my tales of being sick, because I figured that that was good vocab to know. Didn't go over well at all. After about ten minutes, there was no success hooking the TV up, so it was back to the english lab. Great.
Third class: I decided to not chance losing a bunch of class time again, so we just started in the english lab. It was going really well. I was getting responses and feedback on the pictures, and not just the usual "Good good" that means "I don't understand, but I'll say an english word so that you'll go away". Then a warning flashed on the screen "Check Air flow", and the projector promptly turned off. Great.

Moral: Hangman is the single greatest thing to ever have happened to the language teaching profession. Use it to fill time. A lot of time. If the students get bored, they start guessing letters they know are wrong to kill the guy. Either way, they're speaking, and at least they're learning how NOT to spell words.

Oh well... next week it's back to the movies, and they should like that.

No comments: